Launch News Christmas debut of the dark reindeer! Soyuz-2.1v maiden launch, December 28, 2013

Spicer

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the launch of the Soyuz 1 tonight? It's the new lite version of Soyuz re-engined with the nk33. Hoping to see the launch. Will roskosmos post video of the launch?

It's a pretty important launch considering that the r-7 was the first orbital rocket, and this is the first time it will fly in the configuration with no boosters!

Last edited by a moderator:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a pretty important launch considering that the r-7 was the first orbital rocket, and this is the first time it will fly in the configuration with no boosters!

And the first time it will fly with the NK-33 engine.

But it is doubtful that we can watch it, it is a military launch, with two radar targets and a student satellite.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, and I actually want to write a launch report in these hours, but the lack of info is making this slightly more difficult. Nevertheless one should come from me in the late hours GMT..... :yes:

BTW check this thread out for some info about the rocket - I have been requesting for an add-on in Orbiter of this rocket for a year already. ;)

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
With the staged combustion and no boosters, it looks a bit like a very light Zenit.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Apparently the launch has moved one day late to Christmas Day. This would be interesting as there's another launch out of Plesetsk just 12 hours earlier - a Rokot/Briz also with military payloads..... :hmm:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Does the Proton from Baikonur on Boxing day still go according to schedule? Russians sure get the work done before having the famous new year's first week of drinking (remember Orthodox christmas is on the 6th of January).

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Roscosmos published a picture of the launcher:
tDSSaUD.jpg

Spicer

Reaction score
Roskosmos info

Where is Roskosmos's info posted? I checked their website, and they had nothing about Soyuz 2-1v. The soyuz flight on Christmas day looks to be a military flight!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
In other news the launch has slipped to 14:00 UTC...

...and the Rokot launch I mentioned earlier did went off at 00:31 UTC! (article to come later)

Does the Proton from Baikonur on Boxing day still go according to schedule? Russians sure get the work done before having the famous new year's first week of drinking (remember Orthodox christmas is on the 6th of January).

Yup the Proton is already at the launch pad for some time.

Oh and I forgot to say that there will be a Russian EVA on the 27th too.....

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
The rocket was planned to be launched at December 23, but it was delayed till December 25 because of possible engine failure. Now it's delayed again, seems like because of the same reason.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Apparently the launch has swung back into 2013 - it is now scheduled to launch tomorrow at 12:30 UTC!

Edit: next attempt now on Saturday

Edit 2: launch attempt for 12/28 is at 10:00 UTC

Last edited:

Spicer

Reaction score
Won't wait for it!!!

I'll wait and see. I will watch U tube replays of this launch! Seems like the russians don't want this to go off at a watchable time!!!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Under 10 minutes to liftoff! Here's an earlier Russian news report about the launch:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The last attempt was scrubbed within the 5 minutes mark, but apparently the Russians are anxious to get it off the ground! New launch attempt at 12:30 UTC...

(if the rocket eventually did not get off the ground today, it would need a trip back to Samara for repairs, as the first orbital Soyuz-2 rocket did back in 2006 after 3 consecutive scrubs...and nearly averted a second trip back!)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
And liftoff at 12:30 UTC! Spacecraft separation should occur in the next hour or so. :cheers: