Hardware Charching habits of smart phones.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I have this question bothered me for some time now.
It is regarding the charging of my Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.
Every time I plugged in the USB connector to my PC to transfer files, it also charging my phone's battery.
Must I left it connected to the USB port until charging is completed, or can I unplug it as soon as I transferred my files to the PC?
For example, by battery is at 70%. I plugged in my USB cable, transfer the files and unplugged it again. The battery level is now at 73% after the transfer.
I Google this issue and come up with conflicted answers.
I know that Li-ion battery's do not have a memory regarding charging, but what is the best way to extend my battery life in the long run?
And is it bad for the battery to discharge it completely before charging it again?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Every battery is limited in its charge-discharge cycles. To extend the life of the battery, drain the battery before charging, don't charge every day (unless drained).

You can let it drain completely, but don't leave the phone in that state for weeks or months. There's electronics in the phone that prevents the battery from draining completely, so what you phone sees as 0% charge is actually not completely empty. But, every battery discharges itself over time even if not in use.

For storage of lithium batteries, it's best to have them half-charged.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If you're going to have the phone for two years, I wouldn't even worry about charging habits. If you're going to have it for longer, you'll be able to buy a new battery very cheap if it totally goes crazy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have the same problems with the S3 since the 4.1 Update, cause seems to be that the S3 was previously charging the batteries too much, now they bluntly set the power supply into low power.

Screamer7

Reaction score
I have the same problems with the S3 since the 4.1 Update, cause seems to be that the S3 was previously charging the batteries too much, now they bluntly set the power supply into low power.

Can this help to extend the battery life if they choose to use a lower power setting when charging the battery?
And is there a difference in charging power between USB and DC power charging?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can this help to extend the battery life if they choose to use a lower power setting when charging the battery?
And is there a difference in charging power between USB and DC power charging?

I have no idea. :lol:

My personal explanation is it is a bug, not a feature.