Question Change keyboard shortcuts for XR1/2/5

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
Hi all,

What ways are there to change the default keyboard shortcuts for the XR series ships? Because I run Orbiter 2016 on a 13in laptop, the numpad is missing, so I'm considering mapping Alt-[some 4x3 square of keys] to the usual numpad actions. Unfortunately, the XR shortcuts are in the way for most combinations I tried. I've tried remapping some of the keys with AutoHotkey but no success. Any ideas (short of fiddling with the DLL :S)?

cr1

Reaction score
Yes, I could, though that is not my question.

I may have to buy one in the end, but I wanted to see first if there's another way that I might have missed :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit rude (it was a mix of 1 minute of free-time available + writing on a mobile).
The only file you can edit to suit your needs is the master Orbiter file keymap.cfg, located in your Orbiter's root folder.

XR Fleet key commands are hard-coded into the vessels.
They have their cfg files (in Config folder), but they don't control key bindings, rather ship's and its systems' behaviour:

DeltaGliderXR1Prefs.cfg
XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg
XR5RavenstarPrefs.cfg

Having said that, many Orbinauts use (or suggest the use of) an external USB numpad.

cr1

Reaction score
No worries! Looks like the external numpad is the way to go then. Or maybe a joystick; my forum searches tell me that's better for atmospheric flight.

(My only objection to external things is that the distance from main keyboard to numpad is greater than between main keyboard and trackpad -- I like to keep my hands on the keyboard, and I'm that lazy :D )