Internet CCleaner verdict?

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Has anyone here used CCleaner?

It's a freeware computer clean-up program that someone mentioned in a thread on this forum.

Is it OK? I've had a few bad experiences with "free" reg cleaner/tune up programs...

:shifty: Cheers guys.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never had any problems with it.
Just make sure to uncheck the cookies/cache etc. for your preferred web browser if you don't want to lose all of your data. Also it's good form to check your recycle bin before emptying. :tiphat:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i use it regularly, its good to use after installing/uninstalling something because it can also clean out your registry

its a perfectly legit piece of software, and not bad for a free program either

fort

Reaction score
I've never had any problems with it.
Just make sure to uncheck the cookies/cache etc. for your preferred web browser if you don't want to lose all of your data. Also it's good form to check your recycle bin before emptying. :tiphat:

There is also in the options a possibility to choose wich cookies one want to delete or not during the cleaning.

And, if necessary, for à deep cleaning of the registry:

http://majorgeeks.com/RegCleaner_d460.html

the old jv13 RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio ( works at least on XP SP1 ).

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same here. A must-have for me.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
It cleans my desktop and laptop computers at every login, and once a week I manually check registry entries with it.

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use it all the time.
Very good software, never gave me any problems. :thumbup:
I have used other software, but this one is the best one I know of.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Can confirm that, use it both on my laptop and desktop, never had any problems! It also creates a backup before fiddling with the registry, so should anything go wrong, it shouldn't be a major problem.

FADEC

Reaction score
It's one of the best inventions beside Avira AntiVir ever! A must have for anyone who wants to keep the hard drive clean.

I also recommend Defraggler which is made by the same developers.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
CCleaner is great.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also recommend Defraggler which is made by the same developers.
I hate to say it, but my computer crashes every time I attempt to defragment using that program. It eats up all the RAM in around two minutes and it just goes plop! from there.

But that could just be my system. I haven't managed to defragment with the default tool, either.

jthill

Reaction score
I haven't managed to defragment with the default tool, either.

It could be too little (< 15% is getting bad) freespace, or files that actually depend on a specific position on the disk, or both, or ...

MyDefrag does a really good job. To prep for a good defrag, and your first will take a long time so might as well do some prep, shut down every app and speedlauncher and background updater and whatnot you care to hunt down, clean out the temp directories with ccleaner and (this step can matter _a lot_) delete the file-update-notification journal by running

fsutil usn deletejournal /n c:

(or whatever disk) from the command line. The command works on XP too. Assuming space is low, make more room (and speed it up dramatically, scratch space is important), by temporarily turning paging and hibernation off.

Then run mydefrag's monthly reorg script. It will take a long time. It sorts the whole disk, every movable file by various priorities right down to alphabetizing them. On an older laptop drive it might take all night, but the first time I ran it it eliminated more than half of Orbiter's cold-startup time. After about every six months my stepdaughter's computer has bogged down to an utter crawl; ccleaner and a mydefrag script perks it right up again.

When it's done, turn on paging and hibernation again, and if you use indexing on that volume recreate the usn journal with fsutil usn createjournal m=67108864 a=8388608 C: (if you don't know any reason to use different numbers those work for me, you could probably divide by 8 but I've never seen any reason to experiment). I've seen systems with ridiculous journal settings, producing hundreds of unmovable fragments scattered all over the drive.

HTH,
Jim

jinglesassy

Reaction score
I've seen systems with ridiculous journal settings, producing hundreds of unmovable fragments scattered all over the drive.

Oh so you've seen my computer? Finally got around to doing my first defrag since i got my computer(april of 2008)Suprisingly only 14.85% fragmentation but took 3 days.

Keatah

Reaction score
I use ccleaner all the time, And I added in a bunch of custom directory lists for it to clear as well.

WIPE, another program, picks up a few more megs of stuff ccleaner misses.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i use Auslogic disk defrag, no problems, and a very nice hard drive, that reminded me i need to defrag my own hard drive :p