Website
v149th.yolasite.com

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Are you sure? The XR5 has a LOT of JATOs (9x4 on the most recent version we have). Imagine the pollution! :D

All the thrust is necessary to move over 400 tons of OMP suborbital cargo pallets :D

Attachments

• orbiter 2011-01-20 01-39-30-73.jpg
    orbiter 2011-01-20 01-39-30-73.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, I only meant the exhaust type that Velcro uses. RATO takeoffs want epic smoke and flame effects. :)

Wait...nevermind. It doesn't seem like particle streams can be added to Velcro stages. >.>

Axertan

Reaction score
Wait...nevermind. It doesn't seem like particle streams can be added to Velcro stages. >.>

I've been trying that, even with cfgparticles from coputerex, but it either didn't work or crashed my Orbiter. The Velcro manual states that the "SRM" exhaust I set on the JATO's should have smoke, but they don't.

And yes, those JATOs/RATOs/whatever-you-call'em really need epic flames and smoke :)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
RATO is a better idea, it was used on the german [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arado_Ar_234]AR-234[/ame] uset two large RATO payloads mounted (one) on either wing, as it was a little too heavy for its engines to acelerate it to flight speed on a standard runway

JATO is usually used to describe using a carrier jet to carry it above denser atmosphere layers

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Before doing a public release with these 'external stores' we'll try and put as much value as we can into the package, as there will be new cargoes and fuel tanks for the XR5, custom skins for said cargo, etc.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Container repaint - XR5 payload bay auxiliary tanks.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=476&pictureid=4211

We all know how thirsty Vanguards are on the initial ascent. With RATO arrays and additional tankage, you can be rest assured your 600 ton monster will reach orbit :)

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm... XR5 can go to the ISS with 400 tonnes plus of AIA Logistics TEUs, no JATO's thank you.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about extra drag? Is it modelled?

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I have enough drag from my software and rusty modding skills to worry about than to consider the atmospheric variety :p Priorities, you know?

---------- Post added at 06:09 ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 ----------

TEU Pack - XR5-ER (Extended Range) Payload. Includes LOX and H2O emergency resupply systems :3

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/album.php?albumid=488

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
some tanks for the XR5 will be well taken, ive been struggling to get to the moon on a single tank, with a full lower tier of logistics, maybe i could fill it and claim the front row/2 rows as fuel, then i could make it on a full bay :hmm:

warrants some testing!

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Thanks Grover for testing the containers and booster packs :3

The finalised versions of the stuff discussed in this thread are posted here
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=carmen a

The XR5 auxiliary fuel tanks are in the booster pack zip and also in XR5 Vanguard V1.5 from Altea Aerospace. As far as I know both these "XR5-ER" payloads are identical.

Credits to Axertan for building the first prototype RATO payloads out of Velcro Rockets.

Next on my task list is another XR5 skin (based on USAF C17 livery) and an XR2 with Russian Air Force (is it still called VVS?) colours. Because it can fly like Su35 in airshows :D

After I fly some OMP simulated suborbital commercial flights, I'll perhaps do up some VSA-based containers.

Last edited:

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
...is it still called VVS?...
Not VVS but BBC(which stands for Военно-Bоздушные Cилы), sometimes English transcryptions of eastern languages are really funy and far from being accurate:).And AFAIK after the recent reformation of their military forces I belief Russian Air Forces are now called ВВС России:tiphat:.