Installation Cant run the install exe file win 10 64bit

decotime

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My first time here and using windows 10. I'm having issues with installing orbiter sim 2016.

I visit the orbiter sim download page and select the MSI file and download, this puts the .exe file on my computer to run the installer, But when I click on it to run it, a box in the background very quickly opens and the vanishes to quickly to see what it is. Then nothing else happens at all.

Ive tried setting the admin permissions so I can install this program but being new to win 10 am I missing something ? There is no right click option to run as administrator like in windows 7.

Any help & tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Decotime

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi decotime and welcome to the Forum. I generally just download the zip file, and do an Extract All to create the install. On the drive you want to install Orbiter, make a download directory and an Orbiter install. You will probably want to use the older Orbiter 2010 at some point, so consider putting the version in the name too.

E.g. for me, I dedicated an O: drive to Orbiter, and my root folders are O:\Orbiter2016, O:\Orbiter2010, O:\Orbiter2016_DL, and O:\Orbiter2010_DL

Why? Because you will probably want to recreate a clean copy of Orbiter when needed, either for a specific scenario (e.g. OFSS), or to figure out what went wrong with your 30th add-on install! So for the base zip file and all the things you download, put them in the _DL repository (directory), and then right-mouse extract-all over the top of the O:\Orbiter2016 or equivalent.

Things to look for (mostly on www.orbithangar.com) ... the D3D9 graphics client (whicl allows you to run Orbiter_NG.exe instead of Orbiter.exe ... which gives you a much faster and prettier graphics experience. Also look for ObiterSound (mostly working on Orbiter 2016, but with a couple glitches ... as it was written for the older Orbiter 2010). Look for the XR-1, XR-2, XR-5 set of vessels too, for a really nice modern spacecraft to fly.

Addons ... really your choice, but the basics are things like BaseSync (helps with deorbits), LaunchMFD (helps with launch azimuth), Aerobrake (figures out your trajectory when reentering atmosphers), Glideslope 2 (gives you heading guidance for a reentry), TransX and Interplanetary MFD (trajectory calculation tools). You also need ModuleMessagingExt, and HUDDrawer for a bunch of these tools to work.

There's a million more things out there, but this should get you going.

P.s. to install something with administration rights on Win 10, I would do a right-mouse on CMD.exe on my taskbar, and then Run As Administrator. Then find the folder and launch from the privileged CMD window.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'm not sure this happens on W10 (never used it), but downloaded files get "blocked" by windows as a precaution against running potentially bad things. Go to Properties of the downloaded file and, if the file is blocked, there should be a "Unblock" button near the bottom of the window, press it and then press OK and it should now run.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Win10 user myself, but I don't use the MSI installer, I like having the .zip around. That way if my installation ever breaks, I can always go back to the baseline.

RobW

Reaction score
I'm trying to run from the extracted zip on Win 10 64bit. Neither Orbiter_ng or the orbiter.exe are working for me (I downloaded the D3D9 package and installed it.) All orbiter 2016 seems to do is mess up the fonts in Windows Explorer when I try and launch it. Any hints?