Installation can't run any scenarios on first run after install

canadave

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new top-o-the-line CyberPower PC, with an nVIDIA 2070 Super video card, created a C:\Orbiter folder, installed DirectX and the vcrdist in the install folder, as well as the D3D9 graphics client, went into the settings and picked out some appropriate settings, and then tried to run a standard scenario (DG in orbit). I immediately get a crash to white screen that reads: "orbiter initializing 3d environment using a hardware device failed". I then tried downloading and installing the latest nVIDIA drivers for my 2070 card, rebooted, tried again--still no luck. All Windows updates are up to date.

Not sure what to do next here--any ideas?

canadave

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....odd. I'm narrowing down what's happening at least. So, I can play fine in windowed mode up to any resolution (I have a 4K TV I'm using as a monitor). If I try to play full-screen, I can only play up to around 1080p resolution; anything higher than that, and I get the "hardware device failed, try a software device". Also, when I do get it to start in full-screen mode around 1080p, it looks as if I've zoomed way into the top left screen of Orbiter, as if the screen resolution is wayyy off. Any ideas as to why this might be?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....odd. I'm narrowing down what's happening at least. So, I can play fine in windowed mode up to any resolution (I have a 4K TV I'm using as a monitor). If I try to play full-screen, I can only play up to around 1080p resolution; anything higher than that, and I get the "hardware device failed, try a software device". Also, when I do get it to start in full-screen mode around 1080p, it looks as if I've zoomed way into the top left screen of Orbiter, as if the screen resolution is wayyy off. Any ideas as to why this might be?
Sounds like you're running the native Orbiter DX7 graphics client which can't handle resolutions larger than Full HD (1920x1080). You should use Orbiter_NG instead("NG" in the name is short for "No Graphics") which is where you use external graphics clients such as D3D9Client. I'm running at QHD (2560x1440) in D3D9Client with no issues what so ever.

Orbiter.exe is essentially for those who can't run modern graphics APIs by being on severely End Of Lifed'(EOL)ed Operating Systems such as Windows XP.

canadave

Reaction score
Sigh....that's probably exactly what it is. It's been about oh, maybe 15 years since I last played with Orbiter. I guess I need to go RTFM about firing up the D3D9 client. Thanks :)

Last edited:

canadave

Reaction score
Hmmm....well, that's definitely an improvement....now I have all kinds of D3D9 options and I can get to the loading screen in high-res 4K. But after it loads the Neptune cfg file, I get a sudden CTD.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Glad you got it figured out. And welcome back.