Question Can I go in centrifuge?

sitha241

Reaction score
This is question for real pilots here, but anyone with some knowledge is welcome to give me some tips.

So, I am likely to go to train for suborbital flight this summer in Hungary and then in America in december :hailprobe:

But I have problem- I wear contact lens and I am not sure I can go in centrifuge on 6 g with them in my eyes..
So I think it is best that I get glasses, since I saw astronauts go in space with them (saw young on sts 1 had glasses in cockpit on orbit but do they have them on during liftoff??)

So what is your opinion on this? :hello:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:speakcool: Wow, did you get that far, or does it just look like you win it?

I'd say if Young needed glasses in space he also needed them during launch, there might be no time to grab them in case of an abort.

I never had contact lenses but wear glasses, I think I'd feel safer this way.
I just tried it, there's no way to be stabbed into the eye by my glasses.

But it looks like contact lenses should be no problem:

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA165013

http://books.google.com/books?id=zY...ei=8NPCUa6DFoiYtQaimYGwBQ&ved=0CMQBEOgBMBM4FA

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Depends on the type of contact lenses, not all are certified for high-g. But you won't get in excess of 5g anyway.

sitha241

Reaction score
I am first in Croatia, my friend who is second and with who I will compete for trip to Florida is heavy smoker and is in bad shape.
So I think I have chance to win a flight and become first croatian to go in space and I think first orbinaut to do so :)
Thank for this articles..I will contact some doctors also :)
And ofc I will keep you guys posted with my progress :)

@urwupme
I currently have hard lenses not soft ones..I used to wear soft but then I went on hard ones..I do have one pair of soft ones in closet..

Last edited: