Calculating Launch Times

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hey all, I was just wondering if there was a mathmatical formula that I could use to work out possible launch times to Space Stations, when the planes are allredy alligned (or pretty close).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can get close, if you know you'r ascent profile.

Check how long it takes to get to ½ of the final orbital speed. Then you can use AlignePlanesMFD to see how far away you are from alignment. When Time To Node (Tn) matches the time to reach ½Orbital speed, it's time for liftoff. :)

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Cheers, but assuming I know my acent profile, is there anyway to figure out these things in a more mathmatic, acurate way? I ask because I'm planning on building a space station soon (using SSBB, of course) and want to figure out a time-table sort of thing, which I assume is how they do it in real life.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If the station's orbit doesn't precess then your launch windows will be separated by the sidereal time of the Earth (23h56m4.090530833s). You have two launch windows per day.

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You don't have to count launch window manually because LaunchMFD do it for you :)

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cheers, but assuming I know my acent profile, is there anyway to figure out these things in a more mathmatic, acurate way? I ask because I'm planning on building a space station soon (using SSBB, of course) and want to figure out a time-table sort of thing, which I assume is how they do it in real life.

I'm not sure what you want exactly.
AlingPlanesMFD lists both Rinc and Rate-of-change, and it's quite easy to calculate the next plane alignment.
If you plan to use SSU, you can do a test flight to determine the time to ½Orbital speed. It will not change that much if you launch to the same inclination every time.

I know division and subtraction isn't very fancy, but I don't think you'll find anything that's more mathematical. ;)

If you turn on nonspherical gravity, the LAN of orbits will change. This is called precession.

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
James, I used to have a mathmatical calculation, however I lent the book to Rich Wall (hotdog) I just re-ordered the book and it should be here shortly (within 1-3 days) and I can get you the accurate mathmatical calculation to determine the launch windows.

There used to be a dirty way, I used to have it on my PC, but that PC now is in Arizona and i'm in San Antonio. :-(