Buzz Aldrin's doctorial thesis

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Does anyone know what was contained on pg.69 in Buzz Aldrin's doctoral thesis? He uses two variables, b and k, for the remainder of the thesis, and I think that the definition of these two variables are on the missing page. I have a hard time buying MIT's statement that this page is missing and this is the most complete version available.

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One Question: What are [math]f_f[/math], [math]f_i[/math], [math]a_f[/math], and [math]a_i[/math]?

If I know that, I can probably reverse-engineer most of page 69. I haven't read the first 65-ish pages, but I found enough information in the general neighborhood of the missing page that I could probably work backwards from those 4 variables.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you lose a thesis written by a guy who was on the first expedition to land on the moon? Did the guy who overwrote the NASA tapes of the landing take a job in the MIT records department?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
the missing page contains a confession to faking it all! :lol:

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you lose a thesis written by a guy who was on the first expedition to land on the moon? Did the guy who overwrote the NASA tapes of the landing take a job in the MIT records department?

Probably. :facepalm:

anyway, so far I've got:

[math]k=\frac{1}{cos(f_i)-cos(f_f)}=\frac{-b}{cos(f_f)}[/math]
[math]b=\frac{-1}{k*cos(f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{cos(f_i)-cos(f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{2*cos(f_i+f_f)*cos(f_i-f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{2*cos(f_i+f_f)*cos(f_f-f_i)}[/math]

Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
One Question: What are [math]f_f[/math], [math]f_i[/math], [math]a_f[/math], and [math]a_i[/math]?

If I know that, I can probably reverse-engineer most of page 69. I haven't read the first 65-ish pages, but I found enough information in the general neighborhood of the missing page that I could probably work backwards from those 4 variables.

f_i is the angle between the intercept orbit's periapsis and the point where the intercept burn is made. f_f is the angle between the intercept orbit's periapsis and the intercept point. a_i is the angle between the local vertical and the interceptor's needed orientation at the burn point. reference pg. 67, fig 5-1, for a_f.

They didn't lose the thesis...there is only the one missing page.:facepalm::beathead::suicide:

the missing page contains a confession to faking it all! :lol:

Quoting Charlie Duke: "then why did we fake it 9 times"?

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Probably. :facepalm:

anyway, so far I've got:

[math]k=\frac{1}{cos(f_i)-cos(f_f)}=\frac{-b}{cos(f_f)}[/math]
[math]b=\frac{-1}{k*cos(f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{cos(f_i)-cos(f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{2*cos(f_i+f_f)*cos(f_i-f_f)}=\frac{cos(f_f)}{2*cos(f_i+f_f)*cos(f_f-f_i)}[/math]

I can't read this as posted on the forum.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
How do you lose a thesis written by a guy who was on the first expedition to land on the moon?

We did lose his watch, so we might as well lose his thesis. The former was at least more expensive...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm i can read all the figures just fine on my screen