Buying an used telescope

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What do I have to consider and check if buying a used telescope? Especially from a Shop that likely ist not about telescopes? My girlfriend has discovered one, no details about type, price and state.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The main thing is to go and look at the mirrors/lenses to make sure they're not damaged or dirty. After that, I think you should be fine.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
All depends on what you are planning to observe; if it's solar system items a Refractor would be best, if it's deep space than a Reflector (Newtonian) or a Smith-Cassegrain with large apeture would be best.
If your planning photography you definatively want a equatorial mount (motorized) or computer drive fork mounted telescope.
Just all depends on what purpose you have in mind.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What do I have to consider and check if buying a used telescope? Especially from a Shop that likely ist not about telescopes? My girlfriend has discovered one, no details about type, price and state.

Double check the price of a new one. :lol:

My mum saw a used 80mm reflector in a personal ad, and rushed out to buy it. I tried to get it sorted out, but it was quite badly damaged. Not much use for anything else but viewing the Moon.

I found out later that she'd payed almost 3 times the price of a band new scope, and the current version has equatorial mounting as standard.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
For planetary and Lunar viewing I'd recommend a refractor, for extrasolar objects, I'd recommend a reflector. I personally use a 102mm refractor for planetary viewing and some of the larger nebulae. Which type is the one that you're looking at?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Double check the price of a new one. :lol:

My mum saw a used 80mm reflector in a personal ad, and rushed out to buy it. I tried to get it sorted out, but it was quite badly damaged. Not much use for anything else but viewing the Moon.

I found out later that she'd payed almost 3 times the price of a band new scope, and the current version has equatorial mounting as standard.

What I know so far is only that it is 500 mm long and 200 mm wide according to my girlfriends capability of estimating size. But she also think that |______________| is 300 mm. :lol: No information about prize and other important details, but she did at least check the lenses already... i don't know if she bought it or not. she wouldn't say less than one month to my birthday.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What I know so far is only that it is 500 mm long and 200 mm wide according to my girlfriends capability of estimating size. But she also think that |______________| is 300 mm. :lol: No information about prize and other important details, but she did at least check the lenses already... i don't know if she bought it or not. she wouldn't say less than one month to my birthday.

ROFLMAO!

"It's the 2'nd best telescope in the world after Hubble"

Stick to that and you'll be fine. ;)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Errr... damn!

Might want to explain to her that if she doesn't have a clue about telescopes, it's better she lets someone else choose one.

Buying a telescope as a present for someone usually turns out as a disaster. A few years ago, the family of one of my classmates bought him a telescope for his birthday. For the price range, they had a decent refractor and a better reflector available. They went for the refractor, because the other one "didn't look like a telescope" to them :lol:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
What I know so far is only that it is 500 mm long and 200 mm wide according to my girlfriends capability of estimating size.
Lol. At least that is better than "I got a blue one" :p

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Sounds like a Smith-Cassegrain (can't go wrong with that; that's what I use), and yes it is a blue one :)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Buying a telescope as a present for someone usually turns out as a disaster. A few years ago, the family of one of my classmates bought him a telescope for his birthday. For the price range, they had a decent refractor and a better reflector available. They went for the refractor, because the other one "didn't look like a telescope" to them :lol:

Well, I trust her to know what a telescope is like, though I wouldn't expect here to tell equatorial mount from Altazimuth mount. :lol: Or what a Cassegrain Focus is.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Lol. At least that is better than "I got a blue one" :p

:rofl:
That reminds me of an ad for a used car. The only thing you could tell was that the owner was female.
"Red Toyota for sale"
Shortest ad ever :lol:

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A telescope bought at non specialty store is usually a cheap piece of crap and a big dissapointment. It actually may repel you from this great hobby.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A telescope bought at non specialty store is usually a cheap piece of crap and a big dissapointment. It actually may repel you from this great hobby.

It is a rag shop, to be specific. Can mean a lot of everything.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
As its a present for your birthday...its obviously 'compact, powerful, easy to use, ideal for the Moon, ideal for the planets, ideal for asterisms..'
Feel free to write those down, memorise them, and be prepared to repeat them when required.

N.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I'd say that a 200cm SCT is always a good bet. Relatively small size with decent aperture and optic quality.

With some good maintenance (collimation) and placed on a nice equatorial mount it will perform great for planetary work (webcam imaging) and do some deep-sky stuff (with a proper CCD camera and a good mount).

Although mass produced, the average quality is "good", and if your are lucky you might end up with an above average "very good" telescope.

I haven't used mine in years, exactly because I saw all there was to see! I became so satisfied that my interest moved from astroimaging to simulation...