Software BIOS update failure

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Today I checked my motherboard bios and found that it was one from 2007, so I checked for updates and found one from 2011. So I used ASUS Update to flash my bios, once it got to verify the bios it failed then proceeded to crash the PC. Then when rebooting, it did not show anything, just a blank screen.

I have attempted to restore the BIOS using a boot disk, and using ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 Utility both of which have failed.

My question is, Is there any possible way that i can recover it without taking a soldering iron to it?

The motherboard in question is a ASUS M3A32-MVP DELUXE http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A32MVP_Deluxe/#specifications

Any help would be useful.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A32MVP_Deluxe/#specifications

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
A boot disk wouldn't help, without a BIOS the computer isn't going to get that far. It wouldn't even know what a disk is, let alone where or why it should look for one. Based on what you've said the system isn't even starting POST, so the BIOS is, in a nutshell, Screwed. Unless the Motherboard has a port or connection for flashing a BIOS, My knowledge says the solution is a new Motherboard.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
This is my thinking too, but its worth asking to see if there is another option.

Keatah

Reaction score
Is/was there a specific problem you're trying to fix with the bios upgrade?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never ever do a BIOS update if you don't know what you're doing. You don't update stuff just because it's old, you only update it when the previous version does not serve your needs anymore. That goes for everything from BIOS, to drivers, to browser.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Here is the BIOS memory chip in a removable slot:
mb.jpg

You'd need to find someone with an EEPROM programmer (or enough know-how to make one), and get the content restored.

If it happens to be some sort of proprietary memory chip instead of a common EEPROM, then it should still be possible to reprogram it at the official service centre, which should be equipped for the task.

It is made removable exactly for fixing this kind of contingency, instead of necessitating a new MB being bought.

If ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 didn't help (you tried it with a failsafe image from a USB disk, right?), then there is no other option i'm aware of.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Is/was there a specific problem you're trying to fix with the bios upgrade?
I was having issues with the motherboard crashing my graphics card under certain circumstances.

Never ever do a BIOS update if you don't know what you're doing. You don't update stuff just because it's old, you only update it when the previous version does not serve your needs anymore. That goes for everything from BIOS, to drivers, to browser.

This was not the first time I've updated a motherboard BIOS, and it was a last ditch attempt to solve a problem.

Here is the BIOS memory chip in a removable slot:
mb.jpg

Found the chip, it is soldered to the board. :(

If ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 didn't help (you tried it with a failsafe image from a USB disk, right?), then there is no other option i'm aware of.
I tried that.

Thank you all for the advice.

Well I'm off to buy a new motherboard and processor as its about time for an upgrade.

Keatah

Reaction score
I was having issues with the motherboard crashing my graphics card under certain circumstances.

This was not the first time I've updated a motherboard BIOS, and it was a last ditch attempt to solve a problem.

Found the chip, it is soldered to the board. :(

I tried that.

Thank you all for the advice.

Well I'm off to buy a new motherboard and processor as its about time for an upgrade.

Well good! New mobos and cpus are good. They are fixing the problem of the previous hardware "not working".. So that's a valid reason. and it should be fun if you like build'n stuff.

In my experience, if the changelog for a bios doesn't document a fix, it usually doesn't "fix" the issue at hand. Just sayin'..

Screamer7

Reaction score
A long time ago I also fell in that trap.
Since then, I never ever do a BIOS upgrade again. ( the temptation was high some times):lol:
It's to risky.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Many years ago after a totally unneeded BIOS update, I fried my MoBo and my graphics card...

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Just finished building the new setup. It can now be called a new machine, as everything apart from the case is not part of the original setup.

It seems to be running well now that i have messed with the settings. (By messed i mean spent 2 hours researching what they are meant to be.)

Keatah

Reaction score
Many years ago after a totally unneeded BIOS update, I fried my MoBo and my graphics card...
A long time ago I also fell in that trap.
Since then, I never ever do a BIOS upgrade again. ( the temptation was high some times):lol:
It's to risky.
Yep, While I've never had the misfortune of frying a board/bios I've always researched and completely gone through the whole process all the way up to the actual flashing. Stopped, and did it again. Lots of reading, and verifying, and making sure things are just right. Especially version numbers, files, model numbers, and the right utility. An inordinate amount of time to be sure for what is a simple 2 minute flash update.

Most of us, unless we are system techs or enthusiastic hobbyists doing some special upgrades; we may never upgrade a bios in our lifetimes. So it's understandable that a bios update can go wrong very quickly.

The one takeaway idea here is to not mess with anything unless it is truly borked, and then, only then, if you've got a good solid plan in place and know what you are doing.

Just finished building the new setup. It can now be called a new machine, as everything apart from the case is not part of the original setup.

It seems to be running well now that i have messed with the settings. (By messed i mean spent 2 hours researching what they are meant to be.)
Well good. That's how it goes. Replace one component and soon enough a chain of events snowballs into a scenario where you replace every single part with the exception of some screws and a power cord. In your case, a case. Great fun and good times!

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I only replaced the motherboard, processor and RAM this time, all where over 5 years old, so they where due for an upgrade.

My mistake here was using a windows based program to flash the bios, something I'm never going to do again.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Yep, While I've never had the misfortune of frying a board/bios I've always researched and completely gone through the whole process all the way up to the actual flashing. Stopped, and did it again. Lots of reading, and verifying, and making sure things are just right. Especially version numbers, files, model numbers, and the right utility. An inordinate amount of time to be sure for what is a simple 2 minute flash update...
That's exactly what I did!!
:compbash2:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yep, While I've never had the misfortune of frying a board/bios I've always researched and completely gone through the whole process all the way up to the actual flashing. Stopped, and did it again. Lots of reading, and verifying, and making sure things are just right. Especially version numbers, files, model numbers, and the right utility. An inordinate amount of time to be sure for what is a simple 2 minute flash update.

Yes - very much a measure ten times, cut once and pray kind of thing. Updating BIOS scares me every time, and I think I've only ever attempted it twice or three times in the whole time I've meddled with PCs - certainly not with anything post 2008.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's always one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' type of things.

I only updated my PC's BIOS because it didn't fully support the motherboard I was using and I was getting bluescreens every 30 minutes or so. It's an UEFI BIOS so has some extra features but takes a LONG time to update. It is always an worrying time!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sometimes you can't avoid it.
A certain Supermicro board had a BIOS bug that could cause the disk content to be thrashed if not used in a RAID mode.
So 6 of the 12 blades in the cluster i was setting up needed a BIOS update.
On one head, there was a big UPS and the BIOSes were on removable chips, so recovery was possible.
On the other head, only one of a dozen floppies i could find repeatedly passed a read test, but still started skipping on the last one.

orbekler

Reaction score

It reminds me of my old Asus Mobo - it fried (with modem, keyboard, mouse, printer), but because of a bad storm and a lightning, going through the phone line, (also fried).

Booting, black screen and continuous beep.

Strangely enough, RAM and CPU were saved.

Back in topic, the only solution to a damaged BIOS is reprogramming or purchase a new one. There are companies that do that (example):

http://www.elma.it/ElmaFrameListino.htm