Either way I'm glad I'm over here in Australia.. =\

250KG flesh eating Kangaroos are quiet enough. =p

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, when did the Bigfoot 'myth' start, first European settlers, or after the migrations West?

N.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Before then apparently... Native Americans knew about them, or at least they were part of native american legends... "Sasquatch" is a native word for example.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. If you keep searching around you can see the one picture of it in a freezer and it looks like a gorilla suit -- precariouse eye holes and all.

There was a FoxNews (yeah I wish it were somewhere else too) interview where the "Bigfoot Hunter" was waiting to get back DNA evidence today (Friday) or tomorrow and that he formally invited the news crew out to see the body later this coming week.

I don't know that I buy any of his story. He talks a lot of "Scientific Testing" but then doesn't want to subject it to actually university research. He's brought in a couple of cherry-picked researchers and until they offer up whatever it is to an impartial third party, I don't think anyone is going to give them much credit.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the autopsy technicians will be able to note a zipper should one exist.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, when did the Bigfoot 'myth' start, first European settlers, or after the migrations West?

The myth goes back to the Native Americans, before settlers ever arrived here, brought down by oral tradition. There are, apparently certain places in Oregon and Washington and BC where the natives were scared to go, because the Sasquatch supposedly lived there.

From what I've seen it seems that the phenomenon of a large, ape-like creature hiding in the wild is not confined to North America, there is the Abominable Snowman, for instance, which sounds pretty much like the same creature.

I think that, as with space aliens, there's something about the posibillity of a near-human creature lurking in the shadows, just beyond view, that fascinates people and speaks to the human mind.

A more recent myth would be the Jersey Devil, which is said to live in the Pine Barrens in southern New Jersey. This creature is, according to one version of the story, the cursed progeny of a woman living on a farm in South Jersey in the 1700s. It's known for stalking people and occasionally killing chickens and livestock. This myth is the product of white European descendents, as far as I know.

And, once, when I was a teenager, I had my own "Jersey Devil" experience...

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Well don't just leave us hanging there... sheesh. What happened?

Apemen myths are common all over the world not just the US it's very true, the Asian Wildman is another and there are similar creatures from legends in Russia. Perhaps these all stem from a time when we would have shared the planet with other more ape-like humanoids. Maybe some are still around... but probably not it seems, in this guys freezer.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I read a couple of years ago a theory that the Sasquatch is in fact Arawak Indians that were transported out of the Caribbean by the Spanish. After escaping captivity, they went into hiding in Maroon fashion.

As a theory, I must admit it's a bit attractive. Small groups of people could pull off invisibility like this.

It's interesting how many places around the world have the same myth - sasquatch in the PacNorWest, Yeti in the Himalayas, etc. When I was 19, two compatriots and I listened to a pair howling in the Cascades late one summer night. What exactly those howls were is open to debate (I certainly make no claims of certainty), but it was a very strange experience, and certainly unlike anything I've heard before or since.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The greatest Discovery in the 21st century has yet to come, its not Bigfoot..
Its Life on another planet. When we find that, intelligent life, or even unintelligent life, that will be the greatest discovery let alone the 21 century, but of the history of mankind.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's idiots like these two who "discovered" this "body" that make my blood boil. Not only have they mocked the scientific community by presenting a fake "specimen" and promoting it as real, but they have just fueled skepticism (in the public's eyes) which has the potential to be damaging from a standpoint of research. Science has yet to prove/disprove the existence of the yeti/sasquatch/grassman, and frankly it seems to me much of the scientific community does not take the subject seriously enough to lend time and money for research on the matter. To me, incindents like this can only damage the chances of that happening.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Science has yet to prove/disprove the existence of the yeti/sasquatch/grassman, and frankly it seems to me much of the scientific community does not take the subject seriously enough to lend time and money for research on the matter.

Not quite right... They'd have to prove its existance, and I'd say enough research on the subject has been done which lent no evidence at all, so I'm quite comfortable with the conclusion "does not exist".

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Most likely explanation: Sasquatch does not exist.

Up to you to prove otherwise.

There is nothing unfair about this; if you can find real evidence and back it up, it will get serious consideration by the scientific community. Otherwise, you may as well be telling them to investigate the existence of the Great Pumpkin.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
next it will be martians.

:bsmeter: