Better resolution over cities?

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This question has probably been asked before, and this is probably also in the wrong place (mods, please feel free to move it). But are there plans for improving the surface detail, especially around major world cities? (I'm using the high resolution texture pack.)

I decided to take off from Palmdale in my delta glider, fly west to Castaic Lake and then turn south and head toward LAX. And I was just really disappointed by the quality of the scenery. I know Orbiter focuses more on getting the "space" part right, but still, as an aerospace mod it's lacking a bit in the "aero" department.

Pictured: my DG over LAX, with Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey on the left.

Orbiter 2016 8_17_2020 2_32_35 AM.jpg

Google Maps 3D view of the same region.

google maps LAX.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, Orbiters textures are made from freely available Landsat data, not the commercial satellite images (and elevation) or aerial photography. That is currently one limitation.

Also, maybe it would look better to use the textures and augment them with a LAX scenery pack of multiple surface bases, for those who prefer flying low there.

To me, Orbiter is about leaving Earth, thus I don't feel bad even if the Matterhorn looks a bit green and smooth in Switzerland...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com