Problem Bad redezvous with ISS

superfofis

Reaction score
I think i did something wrong somewhere, but its the second time I arrive at ISS with the stock Shuttle Atlantis to find the station slowly spinning and moving away from the redenzvous point.

I start aproximation with 0.00 relative inclination and 0.00 DTmin. But as soon i get near (2km) and start burning to slow the shuttle down, rInc and DTmin starts to swing and I find the ISS spinning and moving away.

Also, i noticed that evertytime i burn to change inclination it messes the orbit's apoapis or periapsis and vice versa.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm launching with the AscentAP and carry the Leonardo Module in the bay.

Help.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nothing big actually. First of all, the station does not have attitude control without addons providing it.

Next, I think the stock Atlantis still has the 13° angle of the OMS. so, you need to remember to pitch up 13° from the direction you plan to burn to. In SSU, the autopilot does this for you, but programming the autopilot is literally rocket science.

superfofis

Reaction score
Wait, so the "problem" is the OMS? If I use the translation thrusters to do the approach this problem will happen?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait, so the "problem" is the OMS? If I use the translation thrusters to do the approach this problem will happen?

Yes, but that will create new challenges because of the longer burn time. And you should be a zero RInc....

superfofis

Reaction score
How about the gimbal control menu? Could some setting "fix" this 13° angle thing?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, thats for the ascent autopilot and only handles SRBs and SSMEs.

Just tested it again to be sure: Its still the 13° angle. Pitching up (or down when heads down) by 13° results in no change in vertical acceleration while burning.

Last edited:

superfofis

Reaction score
Yes, true! I forgot that. Thanks my friend

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

man, i'll be damned. i tried to manually point to stuff with a 13º offset and found that the direction of the burn strangely aligned with a random X in the middle of the bootom part of the Orbit Hud.

I had notice this X before but never paid attention. I always tought it was some random artifact from Launch MFD or, other mod.

Turns out is exactly the direction of the OMS burn. Just point with this X and it's done.

Case solved!