Project AV-88 Jet/Fan Vtol

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AV-88 is advanced multipurpose jet powered VTOL.

It can perform various tasks such as:
- search and rescue support (powerfull headlights)
- chaseplane function (high subsonic in jet mode)
- small transport & cargo drop (1 UCGO box)

Planned features:

- Working VC
- UMMU support (with custom crew)
- UCGO cargo capable
- Optional extended fuel tank with crossfeed function (for S&R missions or long flights)
- Custom AP for Hover mode
- Skin support (multiple CFGs)
- Additional mesh can be added via cfg (for example to install external radar antena or other equipement)

skin-system1.jpg

skin-system2.jpg

av-88-bl.jpg

cargobay.jpg

We're still tweaking aerodynamics so performance info will be added when determined.

Authors:
Woo482 - coding
Loru - concept, mesh, textures

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Nice flying things :thumbup: Does it fit into XR5 cargo bay? And if it fits - is it possible to make it able to take off right from the XR5 cargo bay, I mean - automatic deattachment from cargo deck? I'm planning an interstellar travel, and these things could be nice close-range scouts for a colony.

romanasul

Reaction score
Nice one, been looking for something to rescue my UMMU's that are stranded from a failed reentry.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice flying things :thumbup: Does it fit into XR5 cargo bay? And if it fits - is it possible to make it able to take off right from the XR5 cargo bay, I mean - automatic deattachment from cargo deck? I'm planning an interstellar travel, and these things could be nice close-range scouts for a colony.

Yup - 3 AVs fit into XR5. Assuming there will be some form of craddle for it (like UCGO cargo platform )that will react to external command of detachement I don't see why not? Maybe operated via MFD, so you can operate it from inside VTOL (select attachement then release when you have sufficent thrust to lift off)

Also keep in mind it its engines are pressure dependant so thin atmosphere will reduce engine thrust.Dense will enhance it but this craft isn't aerodynamic wonder so you'll get lots of drag in dense atmosphere.

XR-5_bay.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, you could maybe transport a full Forward Air Base in a XR5 that way. Two VTOLs on a landing/service platform and some fuel barrels and spare parts (or weapons... which you don't need anyway)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Good old C&C days

cncrenovatioalliedhelip.jpg

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Dispite not likeing the colour orange very much, I like the orange one the best. Reminds me of a search and rescue vehicle.
Those are fantastic little models. Very nice indeed. :thumbup:

I just noticed the "Rescue" on the side of the orange one. Arn't glasses a marvel.!!!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, a dark green VTOL with a some light olive highlights and a white-red roundel like that...

240px-Roundel_of_Poland_%28until_1993%29.svg.png

...and the label "Biebrza National Park Service"..... could also look nice.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those all are temporary skins used to test skin system - they'll be improved. Also I'll provide PSD with main texture as rudimentary paintkit so you can all create your own skins.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Coast Guard SAR bird, (nailed it) looks really nice. A slightly different red/white color scheme might look pretty good for emergency services?

Regardless, I've got a VSA that'll purchase a few when they come available :thumbup:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Also keep in mind it its engines are pressure dependant so thin atmosphere will reduce engine thrust.Dense will enhance it but this craft isn't aerodynamic wonder so you'll get lots of drag in dense atmosphere.

Is the atmosphere density the only air parameter I have to worry about? No atmosphere composition check for oxygen for jet engine to be able to run? Something like EPP compatibility? Because if it is just a TRUE/FALSE check for Earth, for example, it would be impossible to use them in this role...
If there's no oxygen check planned, I can deal with it though. Just have to remember that flying the thing around the Shukra station is cheating :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No oxygen check - some users may want to run it from internal O2 supply in UCGO box or add some exernal O2 tanks or simply don't care about it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No oxygen check - some users may want to run it from internal O2 supply in UCGO box or add some exernal O2 tanks or simply don't care about it.

Can I have a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular"]nucular[/ame] VTOL, please? :lol:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Those all are temporary skins used to test skin system - they'll be improved. Also I'll provide PSD with main texture as rudimentary paintkit so you can all create your own skins.

I don't suppose you'd like to say the amount of dds's that are used and the sizes, I'm curious. :)

How big would the blades have to be for it to perform in the martian atmosphere or would VTOL be viable there?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well - it won't work on Mars - it generates around 900N of thrust at 4200kg mass (not weight).

As for textures
Main texture is "2048" + same size bumpmap
3 x 1024 textures
3 x 512 textures
1 x 128 texture

For skin to work in d3d9 bump map must be provided with the same name + "_bump" addition.

So for example maintexture-black.dds + maintexture-black_bump.dds will render correctly

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Woo is implementing droptanks (probably controled using MFD) while I decided to make some shopping for CSSC security:
do_you_feel_lucky_punk.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Those aren't GAU-8s, are they? Looks more like an overgrown M-61...

Either way, the recoil's either going to drive you backwards, or tear the rotors off. I would suggest a pair of fire linked 25 mm Bushmaster cannons. :cool:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Therre is some modification to barrel end and body however its 7 barrels x 30mm caliber. :D