Question Automatic orbital corrections.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would help if you could tell what a "correct" orbit is in your opinion...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Many of them do that already in one way or another...

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would help if you could tell what a "correct" orbit is in your opinion...

For example. I have a XR2 docked at the Arrow Freighter and they both are orbiting Titan with an altitude of 350km (for example). Then I undock the XR2 and I land it on Titan (for example). The problem is that I do not want to remember adjust the orbit of the Freighter to be aproximately at 350km of altitude. What I want is a MFD or a programm that adjusts the orbit of the Freighter automatically (it adjusts it with the orbital data that I give to it).

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
For example. I have a XR2 docked at the Arrow Freighter and they both are orbiting Titan with an altitude of 350km (for example). Then I undock the XR2 and I land it on Titan (for example). The problem is that I do not want to remember adjust the orbit of the Freighter to be aproximately at 350km of altitude. What I want is a MFD or a programm that adjusts the orbit of the Freighter automatically (it adjusts it with the orbital data that I give to it).

If you use the burn time calculator with "CIR" option it basically does half of the work for you. For example you set the periapsis and it make the apoaxis or you just set yourself the apoaxis and it circularize the orbit for you.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I think what the OP is looking for is a module that does automatic stationkeeping, so that you can switch focus to another vessel, do stuff, and come back to find your first vessel in the same orbit as before.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
If you don't change the orbit, you will still be in the same orbit as before anyway.

:shrug:.

turtle91

Reaction score
The problem is, if you park a vessel around a slow-rotating body, the PEA/APA drifts a lot after a while. It happened to me at Europa some time ago(Orbiter 2010) :
I left an Arrow at 150 APA/PEA above Europa, and the vessel ended up in a 10*270 km orbit after some(relative short) time.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
That's a perturbation from Jupiter's huge gravity.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you don't change the orbit, you will still be in the same orbit as before anyway.

:shrug:.

No, due to perturbations, your orbit will change. Drastically in some cases, such as an object in Lunar orbit left to its own devices, which will eventually crash or break free.

Station keeping is the practice of maintaining certain orbit parameters, usually altitude, but often others as well, so that a particular spacecraft can do its job.

Satellites in GEO, for example, must do station keeping maneuvers periodically to remain geostationary, or else they will drift away to the east or west, and their inclinations will rise.

LazyD had a lunar landing MFD years ago that would automatically do station keeping relative to another object for rendezvous purposes, but it was meant to be temporary and used a lot of fuel, an I don't think it was what the OP is looking for, anyway.