IMFD Automatic finding of values?

GodAtum

Reaction score
Website
godatum.blogspot.com
I'm not a programmer, but instead of finding the dv values manually to make the closest approach, surely this is the perfect task for a computer? A computer can just loop trough all the values?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm not a programmer, but instead of finding the dv values manually to make the closest approach, surely this is the perfect task for a computer? A computer can just loop trough all the values?

There are alternative MFDs that solve this problem by differential equations, for example IMFD.

But in general, all approaches to solve this require you to give it good constraints and starting values. You could also take a look at the NASA tool GMAT, though its true power requires Matlab to be installed.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
There are alternative MFDs that solve this problem by differential equations, for example IMFD.

But in general, all approaches to solve this require you to give it good constraints and starting values.

Ditto.
My version of TransX does this automatically, but never in manoeuvre mode, since it's very hard to constraint the search space to get reasonable values. For instance: when in Earth orbit, targeting the Moon, without good constraints the best solution is the one, that overshoots the Moon, still having the smallest "Cl. Approach".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For instance: when in Earth orbit, targeting the Moon, without good constraints the best solution is the one, that overshoots the Moon, still having the smallest "Cl. Approach".

Sounds like the astrodynamics version of the old joke "how does an assembler programmer choose to get down a high cliff? GERONIMO!"

GodAtum

Reaction score
Website
godatum.blogspot.com
Ah i see! I've tried using some matlab addons but they enver seemed to get values I could use in orbiter.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah i see! I've tried using some matlab addons but they enver seemed to get values I could use in orbiter.

Orbiter uses a left-handed coordinate system, while most other software uses right handed coordinate systems. You need to do a projection there.