Advanced Question Assistance Needed for Easy Mapper 1.0

Darth Corleone

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
i'i'm a bit confused about just how to use this addon:
EasyMapper v.1.0
This tool can be used to download a satellite map of the Earth area from your choice for creating base tilesets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded and installed the addon. it interface seems to function properly. However, the instructions on the read me don't quite explaine just how to get the sattalite map from the internet. from EasyMappers seems to be downloaded over 2600 times but there are no replys about it.
i found this site http://www.flashearth.com/ that has sat maps that one can zoom down to rooftop levels that i;d like to use with easyMapper1.0. Maybe this is the wrong type of sat map to use but i just don't know.
If anyone who has this addon installed can shed some light on just how to load a sat map please replt. than's DC..

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the exact source for EasyMapper is, but, given an area defined by the coordinates you put in, it downloads a satellite map of that area of Earth (from somewhere non-user-definable) in a format easy to import into Orbiter.

Instead of making you download an entire global texture map at some LOD level, EasyMapper allows you to only download the parts that you need.

You can't import your own maps.

Darth Corleone

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
!Thank You for shedding a bit of light on the subject. What i'm wondering is does MasyMapper or any other addon let one use a satellite map (i.e Google Earth satellite map with zooming features) with Orbiter 2010?

I was able to install and fly on this addon map--> San Francisco-Oakland Int'l Airport. But this map seems to be missing the man made structures.

I was map hopeing to find an addon that would let me get a satellite map with some real man made structures on it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
!Thank You for shedding a bit of light on the subject. What i'm wondering is does MasyMapper or any other addon let one use a satellite map (i.e Google Earth satellite map with zooming features) with Orbiter 2010?

I was able to install and fly on this addon map--> San Francisco-Oakland Int'l Airport. But this map seems to be missing the man made structures.

I was map hopeing to find an addon that would let me get a satellite map with some real man made structures on it.
All this utility does is download satellite/aerial imagery IE 2D photos of a specified location. In Orbiter these are called "surface tiles" or "surf-tiles" for short. 3D structures will have to be added manually, either by modifying the base's config file in NotePad, or by using a dedicated utility that was designed to create bases for Orbiter. One such tool is Orbiter Base Maker: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5607"]Orbiter Base Maker V2.0.3[/ame]

Darth Corleone

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
!Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. So if i used Google or Flash Earth's sat images that show structures i.e buildings, houses and etc, those sat images are just 2D. I would not be able to use them in Orbiter? Or the structures on the map would only just be 2D images and the structures would be flat and you could not fly between them. And i'd have to use Orbiter Base Maker V2.0.3 to place a structure on the map or tile to get structures one could fly between?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's it. You get a pretty good looking map, but would have to place structures yourself.

Hey if you want structures to fly around...

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5960"]Pictown 1.1[/ame]

Last edited:

Darth Corleone

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry PhantomCrusiser my late reply. I will try Pictown 1.1. But right now my problem is to figure out just how to get the satellite map or any map to use with Pictown. The instructions for Easymapper are skimpy. I sorta need a step by step tutorial on getting a map from a web source. Any help there would be most welcome.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Darth Corleone, have you seen this tutorial?

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21316#post252395

I haven't read it myself, but judging by the comments, its worth a look.

I have made surface tiles in the past from Google Earth images, but that may not be a good thing to do at the moment...

N.

Darth Corleone

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank's for the link to the Map Calculator stuff, i will check it out this weekend.
I found my old MS Combat Flight sims 1, 2, and 3. I installed MSCFS3 and the ground maps were very nice but when i landed some of the objects on the ground were flat. Now I understand just why i need to manually place buildings and etc.
Question. Can maps from the MS Combat Flight Sims be used in Orbiter?