arXiv.org

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
www.arxiv.org is an online pre-print repository of math and physics papers that are about to be published in science magazines, or some that are published only here.

We're talking about an online and open archive of anything physics related, ranging from astrophysics, through nuclear and high energy physics, to quantum physics. *Every* article here is freely accessible to everyone.

Of course, this ain't a science book. It'll take a bit to actually understand what you're reading.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
www.arxiv.org is an online pre-print repository of math and physics papers that are about to be published in science magazines, or some that are published only here.

We're talking about an online and open archive of anything physics related, ranging from astrophysics, through nuclear and high energy physics, to quantum physics. *Every* article here is freely accessible to everyone.

Of course, this ain't a science book. It'll take a bit to actually understand what you're reading.

I use this all the time for my bio class reports

Jarvitä

Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that papers on arXiv are pre-print only. They may be licensed to a journal and taken off arXiv after it's actually published. If you see what might be the most important paper written in the 21st century, remember to save it for yourself and future generations - even if there isn't a word about licensing terms in the paper itself, since licence disclaimers are often excluded from preprints.

Science is slowly turning into an industry just like entertainment. The only reason a place like arXiv can even exist is because peer review is still necessary if you want your work to be taken seriously. Expect this to change as commercial interests begin to prevail.

It boggles the mind that there isn't a central repository of liberated ("pirated") scientific articles like there is for reality shows and MTV music. There are several initiatives, but the "scene" is pretty pathetic on the whole.

I believe science, even more so than art and software, should be free and open to all of humanity. I'm an autodidact in several fields entirely unrelated to my university studies. I couldn't have gained all the knowledge and expertise without either breaking the law or spending thousands of euros on journal subscriptions and database access. This is a real danger and could result in a technological stagnation if not addressed. Support free science!

Keatah

Reaction score
Scientific stagnation has already set-in. As soon as anything interesting is discovered it is locked up in patents or bogged down by lawsuits and commercial interests.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Oh? Well, I only found Quantitative Biology in there and I won't pretend to know what it's all about. You at university? I figured this website might be a bit high level for highschool...

It's worth pointing out that papers on arXiv are pre-print only. They may be licensed to a journal and taken off arXiv after it's actually published. If you see what might be the most important paper written in the 21st century, remember to save it for yourself and future generations - even if there isn't a word about licensing terms in the paper itself, since licence disclaimers are often excluded from preprints.

Science is slowly turning into an industry just like entertainment. The only reason a place like arXiv can even exist is because peer review is still necessary if you want your work to be taken seriously. Expect this to change as commercial interests begin to prevail.

It boggles the mind that there isn't a central repository of liberated ("pirated") scientific articles like there is for reality shows and MTV music. There are several initiatives, but the "scene" is pretty pathetic on the whole.

I believe science, even more so than art and software, should be free and open to all of humanity. I'm an autodidact in several fields entirely unrelated to my university studies. I couldn't have gained all the knowledge and expertise without either breaking the law or spending thousands of euros on journal subscriptions and database access. This is a real danger and could result in a technological stagnation if not addressed. Support free science!

Amen!

It's a real shame that science magazines have become an industry. I understand why they don't want to use ads to keep up the magazines and sites, but it's sometimes ridiculous to pay huge fees for only certain articles.

Scientific stagnation has already set-in. As soon as anything interesting is discovered it is locked up in patents or bogged down by lawsuits and commercial interests.

Well, development stagnation, possibly. But not scientific.

Getting new technology is a two part process - first you need to invest into research. Finding new laws of physics, for example. Only then can you figure out how to actually use those laws to do something useful. That's where you get the return on investment.

Science is usually funded by the government because large scientific endeavors (think particle accelerators and colliders, space probes and satellites, telescopes, high power lasers, fusion power research,...) are expensive and the industry doesn't have the money to support them.
There are tons of jobs and returns that are quite immediate - spin off companies and highly educated and qualified people are needed just to create technology for the new projects.

After the new science is found and papers are published, the industry can get to work putting all that to good use. That's where you get the patents and lawsuits...

Pure science shouldn't be patented and should be left for everyone to see. I think it's a travesty that the internet - the pinnacle of electronic communication - does not host more open sites like arxiv.org and that scientific articles are so restricted.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Oh? Well, I only found Quantitative Biology in there and I won't pretend to know what it's all about. You at university? I figured this website might be a bit high level for highschool...

Amen!

It's a real shame that science magazines have become an industry. I understand why they don't want to use ads to keep up the magazines and sites, but it's sometimes ridiculous to pay huge fees for only certain articles.

Well, development stagnation, possibly. But not scientific.

Getting new technology is a two part process - first you need to invest into research. Finding new laws of physics, for example. Only then can you figure out how to actually use those laws to do something useful. That's where you get the return on investment.

Science is usually funded by the government because large scientific endeavors (think particle accelerators and colliders, space probes and satellites, telescopes, high power lasers, fusion power research,...) are expensive and the industry doesn't have the money to support them.
There are tons of jobs and returns that are quite immediate - spin off companies and highly educated and qualified people are needed just to create technology for the new projects.

After the new science is found and papers are published, the industry can get to work putting all that to good use. That's where you get the patents and lawsuits...

Pure science shouldn't be patented and should be left for everyone to see. I think it's a travesty that the internet - the pinnacle of electronic communication - does not host more open sites like arxiv.org and that scientific articles are so restricted.