Question Applying Shader FX?

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Reading through the orbiter screenshots thread, the Orton Process applied pictures like http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=10874&postcount=151 really cought my eye. Can a post render shader effect be made to do something like this in the GPU applied after the frame is done? Have it be some type of check box option in OLGA or one of the other OVP engines? I know this wouldn't appeal to everyone but it looks damned pretty imho and would be very cool to fraps video with that effect.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Post effects, hmm?
There is a sort of framework for them in OGLA. although it does not do much now.

Many nice-looking effects are FPS-eaters, others are less, but does not help flying much. Photoshop might be a better choice for pictures.
If you're making a video, then yes, GPU's are much faster than CPU's in that area.

ogla-090106-1.jpg

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Making a video is about artistic value. And I would prefer a post rendered effect where I can adjust the filter like I want it in the final product over recording the effect directly.
When making a video CPU time is no issue.
But then again, I have no problem encoding a video for 48 hours...

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Good points. :) With post processing video it might make more sense to do it then instead of in the original engine. Is Orton Process just another name for Bloom effect, or is that another different process?

Erupter

Reaction score
High Dynamic Range, motion blur and film grain are all available under DX9 (for the second and third Mass Effect -bioware- is a good example)
Bloom has always been an fps eater. HDR too, but not that much. (look at FSX vs HL2, the latter supports HDR, the first Bloom)

BTW eye-candy in these regions is often regarded as something out of place, like if you see reality in bytecode it would be more real...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
High Dynamic Range, motion blur and film grain are all available under DX9 (for the second and third Mass Effect -bioware- is a good example)
Bloom has always been an fps eater. HDR too, but not that much. (look at FSX vs HL2, the latter supports HDR, the first Bloom)
HDR is more of an fps eater than bloom...look at Oblivion. Bloom can run with 4xAA at the same speed as HDR (with no AA).

Erupter

Reaction score
HDR is more of an fps eater than bloom...look at Oblivion. Bloom can run with 4xAA at the same speed as HDR (with no AA).

Well then i can say: look at HL2 and FSX.
The first runs good with almost any computer nowadays, the latter can't say the same.
I have a quad 3ghz plus a nvidia 8800gt, 4gigs of ram and FSX dares not to mantain even a lowly 20fps with bloom. Same config w/o bloom, and it stays at 40fps.
So i guess it depends on implementation...
But then again HL2 was the first to implement HDR with Ati Radeon series x1n00 if i remember correctly. So it should be an affordable situation performance wise.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a quad 3ghz plus a nvidia 8800gt...
Think I found your problem. You got a quad 3ghz and only put an 8-series nvidia into it?

Also: It probably heavily depends on the game.

Erupter

Reaction score
Think I found your problem. You got a quad 3ghz and only put an 8-series nvidia into it?

Also: It probably heavily depends on the game.

Yeah well but when i played HL2 i only had an athlon xp 2300 and an ati x1600...

TJohns

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...FSX dares not to mantain even a lowly 20fps with bloom...
This might be silly to ask, but you've overridden FSX's default 20 fps framerate limit haven't you?? Bumping up all the quality settings DOESN'T alter this value; you have to manually adjust it in the custom settings. You might be implying that with bloom off you ARE getting higher values!

Trevor

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Comparing HDR in HL2 to Bloom in FSX is not a valid comparison. The engines, and demands, so so vastly different nothing useful is gained from it.

And if Bloom is slower than HDR something is rather wrong, since the whole point of bloom is a cheap way to fake HDR. (And HDR often includes a bloom effect as well).