Question Apollo 8 Ordeal initialization

mnurick

Reaction score
I'm stuck on the ordeal initialization procedure on the Apollo 8 mission in earth orbit.

I have V16 N44 up on dsky showing
Row 1 = 26585
Row 2 = -28017

I understand that to be orbital apogee and perigee, but I cannot decipher the units!

And then I'm asked to calculate average alt, easy enough, but then how do I set the alt set dial on the ordeal? What units are those in?

Would love the advice of more experienced pilots here. Thanks! :thumbup:

abr35

Reaction score
Would you be able to upload a scenario for us to look at? Noun 44 should be in tenths of a nautical mile with the decimal point assumed to be after the fourth digit. You should have something like:

16 44
Row 1 = +01015
Row 2 = +01001

These would average out to about 100.8.

My guess would be something corrupted the state vector. Time accel used to make the AGC put maximum negative and positive numbers in certain memory addresses - with plenty of similar results.

Try uplinking a new state vector to the AGC using the Apollo RTCC MFD, in the mean time, if you haven't already.

Edit: The state vector is under the utility page.

Last edited:

mnurick

Reaction score
Turns out it was a time acceleration error throwing off the altitudes. A fresh scenario and patience fixed the issue! Thanks for the offer to help.

mnurick

Reaction score
I’ll also try the rtcc method you mentioned next time. Thanks again! Loving this experience!