Apollo 5

meik84

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Just tried both Apollo 5 scenarios, none of them worked. The 'WIP' scn doesn't have an LM, in the 'mission' scn the rocket won't lift off from the pad after ignition. Ideas?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Just tried both Apollo 5 scenarios, none of them worked. The 'WIP' scn doesn't have an LM, in the 'mission' scn the rocket won't lift off from the pad after ignition. Ideas?

Both scenarios work fine for me. The WIP scenario doesn't start in the 2D panel view, so you might have to press F8 to switch to that view while in the cockpit. I'm not sure what the problem with the T-60s scenario is, it lifts off for me. There previously had been some bugs that caused a problem at liftoff, so, are you using the most recent NASSP 8.0 Alpha version?

meik84

Reaction score
There previously had been some bugs that caused a problem at liftoff, so, are you using the most recent NASSP 8.0 Alpha version?
I'm with the 2016 branch, if you mean that...

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm with the 2016 branch, if you mean that...

Yes, that's the one. What exactly is the behavior at liftoff? Does it start the engines at all? If it's a cutoff at liftoff it might still be that old bug. But it's working fine for me, so, no idea really.

meik84

Reaction score
Got it. It doesn't like timewarp in the last minute or so before liftoff. Guess that throws the IU's plattform out of aligment.
One thing considering separation from the SIVB: it's not possible to pressurize the RCS before sep, so the LM is without control the first few seconds after sep. LGC want's to keep it stable, but triggers the TCA doing so. If you aren't fast in reseting the TCAs manually, you get a very badly tumbling LM.:uhh:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Got it. It doesn't like timewarp in the last minute or so before liftoff. Guess that throws the IU's plattform out of aligment.

Yeah either some issue with Guidance Reference Release at T-17s, or the ignition signal to the S-IB engines gets delayed a bit due to the timestep length, it then doesn't have full thrust at T-0s and then an auto cutoff gets thrown by the EDS. All features that probably weren't implemented yet, when you used NASSP regularly the last time, haha. I still can't reproduce the cutoff at liftoff, but it's probably a good practice to not use time acceleration between GRR and second stage ignition or so.

One thing considering separation from the SIVB: it's not possible to pressurize the RCS before sep, so the LM is without control the first few seconds after sep. LGC want's to keep it stable, but triggers the TCA doing so. If you aren't fast in reseting the TCAs manually, you get a very badly tumbling LM.:uhh:

The LM RCS engines aren't existing yet for Orbiter before separation from the S-IVB. Same thing with the CSM. But the TCA flags are just indications, so even if they show red the RCS should still be able to fire normally after S-IVB sep. The LGC just tries to fire them for a bit before sep, so that's where the flags will start showing red right now. Usable LM RCS (and SM RCS engines as well) before sep from the S-IVB will probably be implemented eventually, but right now it doesn't work yet. And in addition to that, the TCAs are a bit sensitive and even a short frame rate drop can sometimes trigger the failure indication.