Apollo 11 - Targeting a New Splashdown Site

Thespacer

Reaction score
I’m interested in simulating entry using the revised (actual) landing coordinates, in light of the weather issues at the original planned coordinates.
Any ideas how to do this, using (for example) RTCC MFD? If I’m not mistaken, no DV or other burns were conducted after the decision to move the landing coordinates downrange, and the extra ~200NM was instead absorbed into the entry procedure, which used the skip-out procedure (P65).

Any tips?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, that can be done with the RTCC MFD. Go to Maneuver Targeting, Entry, Splashdown Update. The CLC button will calculate the splashdown coordinates for a quite short entry range. But with the RAN button you can override the reentry range. 1285 NM would be nominal for Apollo 11, you just have to do a bunch of trial and error to get the coordinates as you want them. The last Entry PAD on Apollo 11 had 169.17°W for the splashdown longitude. That would be something around 1520NM range that you have to input. The "actual range" it shows there includes Earth rotation I believe, while the input range does not. Once you are happy with the numbers, there is an uplink page button on that page as well.

MrFickles

Reaction score
If you don't mind having errors on your EMS range, you can just change the target coordinates on P63, and it'll bring you there. But for the proper procedure you should follow indy's instructions and use RTCC MFD.

You can get some insane downrange from a lunar trajectory skipout. I've managed over 2000nm.

Last edited: