Question Apollo 11 seating plan

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
For all you Apollo professors out there i was watching When We Left Earth today and they replaying the Apollo 11 launch and it was discussing the crew ingress into the CM.
It said that Aldrin was taking a seat on the swing arm waiting for Armstrong and Collins to take there seats.
That would mean Aldrin would of been in the middle seat which in all other missions the CMP was in the middle seat. So that would mean Collins was on the right hand seat were you can control the CM electrical systems.

This is what i believe was the audio clip on the mini series.
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/01launch.htm
The PAOs first noted update which is in green.

Ryan.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The positions did change during mission, at launch, the LMP is in the middle seat, while the CMP is in the right seat and the CDR is in the left seat. In orbit, the CMP takes the middle seat, since he is also responsible for the navigation station.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
The positions did change during mission, at launch, the LMP is in the middle seat, while the CMP is in the right seat and the CDR is in the left seat. In orbit, the CMP takes the middle seat, since he is also responsible for the navigation station.
Thanks. I would guess the reason they did this becuase nothing much is going on in the middle seat and Collins would be a better person to have working on the electrical stuff.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
In "Carrying the Fire" (highly recommended) Collins says:

"For launch the CMP (me) normally rides in the center couch, but since Buzz had already been trained to ride the center when I joined the crew, it made little sense for him to have to learn another position. Therefore, I have learned the tasks of the right-seat occupant for launch, Buzz stays in the center, and Neil (as commanders always do ) rides over on the left side, where the abort handle is located."

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Weird you learn something new every day. It would of been pretty boring sitting there in some plastic seat, but you do get a great view of KSC at dawm.