Apollo 11 - LM Ejection - Issue/User Error?

Thespacer

Reaction score
Using the latest beta build, I practised the LM ejection procedures (using both a quicksave scn from previous builds, as well as the stock A11 mission scn no. 05 “Before S-IVB Separation T+3h+15min”). All went well (T&D, pressurisation) until the actual LM ejection. The separation switch does not do anything (evidenced by lack of separation following from -X thrusting). Double-checked the cb’s and pyro were all properly set IAW the checklist. Can anyone verify if that situation works for them?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Could you post your current state scenario. I'll take a look at it.

Some of the mission scenarios can get a little outdated as we add systems , but I don't think this particular problem would occur.

Thespacer

Reaction score
Thanks N72.75. I've changed the filename from .scn to .txt to make the forum happy.
It's based off the stock A11 scn I mentioned above, and is at about GET 4 hours. I closely followed checklist MFD, and the scn is just at the point prior to starting P47, followed by ejection. I just tried ejection again, and nothing. Curious if it's just me...

Attachments

• Apollo 11 - 05 - Before S-IVB Separation T+3h15min 0002.txt
    191.6 KB · Views: 142

MrFickles

Reaction score
I tried your .scn on NASSP build 1537, I had no issues with LM/LV sep.

Unlike CSM/LV sep, LM/LV sep does not have any initial impulse to it, I believe it just unlatches the LM from the LV. The impulse comes from -X RCS thrusting. Perhaps you did not see any relative movement upon throwing the switch and thought the separation had failed?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
So all I did was open your scenario, was open it with the most recent version (Build 1537, this is the one that @indy91 just updated with the "Sundance306ish" LM software, Apollo 9 and the S1b LVDC updates).

I ungarded and hit the LM/SIVB switch, and momentarily flipped it up. and than translated -X to extract the LM.

There is no release sound here, and I can't remember if or when there was one, because it's been a while since I did a LM extraction in a mission.

You got all the circuit breakers and switches set right, the ones that are hard to find are the panel 278 ones, but you got them all.

LM Extraction.png

Thespacer

Reaction score
N72, Mr F,
Thanks to both of you for checking. I tried the same scn today, after a fresh restart of my computer, and - yes - it works as advertised. Must have been some transient issue with Orbiter...