Any resin modelers?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

This may be slightly off-topic, but not that far. Question: are any of you into resin modeling of rockets and/or spacecraft?

I've done quite a few polystyrene models over the years, of all kinds (planes, ships, tanks). Built many dozens when I was a kid, pretty much stopped when I left for university.

Over the last few months, doing internet searches and browsing hobby shops, I find only a relative few space vehicles available in polystyrene. Apollo stuff in abundance, plus the space shuttle. Very little else.

There are quite a few interesting space vehicles available as flying model rocket kits, which tend to be made of cardboard tubes and balsa or polystyrene. And also you can easily download non-flying paper models you can print, cut and glue together yourself, from web sites such as this.

Which brings me to "resin" models. There are from what I can see, many resin models of spacecraft and launch vehicles, including not so popular with the masses but still historically significant items such as Shenzhou, Soyuz, Titan, Deltas, Atlas series...in short, everything else. Here's one site I recently ordered from: http://www.realspacemodels.com/index.htm

Are any of you scale modelers who know anything about resin, how to work with it, paint it, get good results, etc? It's a new material to me...

Happy New Year (coming to Seattle in 20 minutes and counting!)

:cheers: