[Other] Ancient Greek translation request (1 little sentence)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could translate that little sentence for a friend of me :

τό Έλληνικόν έόν δμαιμόν τε και όμόγλωσσον
Thank you if you can, it's not much better than chinese or hebrew for me :tiphat:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In German transcription it is : to (H)ellenikon eon dmaimon te kai omoglosson

Looks like there are some small errors in it, the delta in the forth word might be meant to be a omicron with accent (homoimon). Then it is the phrase "The Greeks are of the same blood and also the same language".

A nationalist phrase in Greece and also Macedonia, but derived from the definition of a Greek by Herodot: Same blood, same religion, same language, same morals.

No, I can't speak ancient Greek. But I like old languages.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe's translation was pretty accurate. I am not aware of a "δμαίμον" word. Propably meant to write "όμαίμον" which is the word "ομόαιμον" in Attic dialect (homoemon) meaning the same blood.
The phrase from Herodotus Histories, book 8 (Urania),144 is this:

το ελληνικόν εόν όμαιμόν τε και ομόγλωσσον και θεών ιδρύματα κοινά και θυσίαι ήθεά τε ομότροπα

There is also the Greek nation of the same blood and language and same sanctuaries and common sucrifaces and morals.

(Ancient Greek to Greek translation Aggelos Vlahos "Galaxias" 1971, Greek to English translation - mine).

It has been used as a nationalist phrase by many over the years, and interpreted by some, that Herodotus used it to define who are Greek and who are left out.

To know what it was actually about you need some context. Before the battle of Plataea, the Spartans were worried that the Athenians would make some kind of deal with the much stronger Persians, so they sent emissaries to Athens to prevent that.
The meeting took place at the Ecclesia of Demos in Athens and the Athenians answered that they would not make any kind of deal with the Persians and that they would remain allied with the rest of the southern Greeks. That phrase is (according to Herodotus) part of the answer the Athenians gave to the Spartans.

Here is the link to the original Greek text of Urania, you can find the whole answer the Athenians gave at 144.

Here is an English translation

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it was an extract from Herodotus. Thanks :tiphat: