Request An odd request for a friend... Chevy Cobalt

datubaman

Reaction score
One of my friends who is also an orbinaut (but not on this forum), has asked me to make a request for a vehicle...

...he wants someone to make a Chevy Cobalt addon for Orbiter (probably as a UCGO car)

So...yeah.

Stoat

Reaction score
I had a quick check and the drawings are on smcars. Not exactly the most sexy looking car in :)the world, is it?

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
You can easily model a car yourself and slap on a default UCGO code - these are more or less personal addon requests (no revolutionary addon features) and are best accomplished by getting your own model. Believe me, its just much more efficient since... the Cobalt we drive in Orbiter is a very different animal.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8031

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
No way to remove this message below,to much poly...well in few days I guess it could be over.

Last edited:

lennartsmit

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks extremely detailed. Most of the time that just requires some removing of details you can't see or are barely noticeable. Take a good look at the mesh, then decide; What can I get rid off?

It looks like a nice mesh though. Nice modeling.

Stoat

Reaction score
First thoughts are to take a look at the tyres. These will be modeled with actual tread patterns. Dump them and paint treads onto a simple lathed tyre. Likewise dump anything you can't see, like detailed brake drums, the engine etc. Then take a look at the seats, replace trimmed and contoured seats with simple cube shapes. I'm quite sure you can trim loads of fat from that model.

Stoat

Reaction score
Nah! :thumbsdown: This is the car for driving round top secret rocket sites.

Attachments

• aston2 copy.jpg
    aston2 copy.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 28

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Nah! :thumbsdown: This is the car for driving round top secret rocket sites.

Do you have model?

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

There is a way actually. Try Orb's disable debug string .dll. It's on thisthread, post number 11.

Thnx but I don't know anything about code or programing and this car run by UCGO.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Yeah, it looks extremely detailed. Most of the time that just requires some removing of details you can't see or are barely noticeable. Take a good look at the mesh, then decide; What can I get rid off?

It looks like a nice mesh though. Nice modeling.

This is not my model,I download it from 3D Warehouse,well if got permission to use it I'll put it on orbiter hangar if not well message me for add-on,I'll send in private messages.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
You don't need to, Orb gave it as a ready to go addon.

Just put in your [.../Modules/Plugin] folder, and enable the DisableDebugString module in the Orbiter Launchpad modules tab. :thumbup:

It's packaged with preserved Orbiter folder structure, so you unpack it just like other add-ons. No need to change the destination folder, or enter into the archive to find the file. There is already compiled module in Modules/Plugin, and the source is included in Orbitersdk/samples for those only interested in it. There's no need to compile anything.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
It's packaged with preserved Orbiter folder structure, so you unpack it just like other add-ons. No need to change the destination folder, or enter into the archive to find the file. There is already compiled module in Modules/Plugin, and the source is included in Orbitersdk/samples for those only interested in it. There's no need to compile anything.

OK. See it now,it work..did not activate module lol.
Thanks.

Stoat

Reaction score
Hi Liber, yeah I've got the model db5 p.m me and I'll send it to you. What format do you want, 3dm? I don't know how to bring models into Orbiter at all, it would me nice if the guns, extending tyre slashers, bullet shield and rotating number plates worked.

Oh, it's my build, so no problems with its use.

Stoat

Reaction score
Hi Liber, I meant 3ds, slip of the keyboard. As for the guns and stuff, I'm not that bothered, I'd just be pleased to see it up on Orbiter. If you look at the photograph you'll see that the roof is open and one of the seats is at roof level, the ejector seat. The tyre slashers are extended on the rear wheels, the front bumpers are extended out and there's a raised bullet proof shield at the back. The front indicator lights are rotated up and twin machine guns can just be seen.

This is James Bond's Aston Martin. Now there is a bit of Hollywood leeway taken with this car. There's no actual way that 007 could have ejected a bad guy, without taking half his body off, and destroying the seat.

Anyway, all I did for moving stuff, was to shift the axis centre, so that it could be pulled out or rotated.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Oh yeah, this was made in c4d, just on the off chance that's what you use.

Stoat

Reaction score
I've had a look at the db5 and it's got way too many polys I think. I think I'll redo the tyres and see what can be trimmed off it.