Amateur Rocket Engine (liquid)

Gerdih

Reaction score
Hi, I am developing a little rocket engine that will works with H2O2 and Kerosene. It will produce about 80 lb of thrust. I am in the fase of calculating the sizes of the parts of the motor.

I will use a pressure system

somebody know if its expensive to send the plans of the motor to a workshop or other to do the engine?

I will be gratefull if the people of the orbiter helps me!

Thanks!

Last edited:

lennartsmit

Reaction score
Please don't do this if you don't have years of experience with engines, rockets and explosive liquids! You will get killed if anything goes wrong.

Gerdih

Reaction score
I dont go to test it in my garden. I know that this will be dangerous.

And if I see that is not possible to do the pump I will use a pressure system.

If I need experience. Well, I will do the engine to know more
or not?

Dambuster

Reaction score
Hi, I am developing a little rocket engine that will works with H2O2 and Kerosene. It will produce about 80 lb of thrust. I am in the fase of calculating the sizes of the parts of the motor.

This type of engines usually are feed by a pressure system but I want to see if its possible to do a turbopump for the alimentation. One of the option that I am seeing in this days is to transform a turbocharguer into a turbopump. Also I am thinking to use a tesla turbine wich is easy to construct. But I have to see more options before arrive to the final design of the alimentation system.

I will be gratefull if the people of the orbiter helps me!

Thanks!

Just to check: what sort of experience do you have with rockets so far?

Gerdih

Reaction score
Well, What do you think what I have to do to get the sufficient experience to do this? Maybe I want to do a thing that is not at my reach. But I dont see what I can do to gain experience. Do a solid rocket? I dont think that this will give me experience about liquid engines. I was look for the better combination of oxidizer and fuel for months to do amateur engines. I think that these liquids are the safest that I can use. Maybe Im wrong. It seems that you have more experience. So, what I have to do before do this engine to be prepare?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Start making a simple pressure-fed engine first - you barely reach the mass flows in the model rocket range, that make a pump worth the effort.

And before that, you better work on getting an injector head done that works - that is not that simple, since it provides mixture and chamber wall cooling.

After you have that done, you need to work on saving mass, mass and mass - for example replacing the inevitable valves with versions that are lighter and still do the job.

Even a large methane / H2O2 engine by a Dutch university needed a lot of work before the thrust-to-weight made it possible to lift the rocket as well...

Look here - the huge beast in the background is their liquid fueled rocket.

http://www.dare.tudelft.nl/

Last edited:

Gerdih

Reaction score
I know that do the pump will be dificult and If I cant do this, that is what I think, I will use the pressure system.

But I dont want to launch a rocket, I dont know if in spain is elagal or not.

Gerdih

Reaction score
I looked about it but I dont find anything. If somebody know about it..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I looked about it but I dont find anything. If somebody know about it..

Just launch and find it out, some experts will sure notice this and tell you if this was illegal.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Launch the rocket and then wait about somebody that says me that this was illegal?
I dont think that this is the best way to know it xd

somebody know if its expensive to send the plans of the motor to a workshop or other to do the engine?