Alright, gonna build a simpit

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
If I can afford it. I've taken the first steps, making pictures of the DG-IV panels. I will label them, and sketch their rough location in the pit...once I get my printer working:compbash2:

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
If you need any help let me know. I'm good at CAD drawing and can CNC parts. :)

lockingtoggle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, let us know if you need any help.
If you want an advice; first, build a single panel, and if you see that you are confortable with what it takes go ahead for the big thingy.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
These are the pics I made of all 3 panels. Would have been easier if I could have found the texture file

Attachments

• Front panel.jpg
    Front panel.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Lower panel.jpg
    Lower panel.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 91
  • Overhead panel.jpg
    Overhead panel.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 74

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Well, I talked to my dad about just starting off with one panel, but he said even that might be too advanced for a first step. He suggested finding the most commonly used switches, and making them, then if I get the hang of that, I can make a panel, then the whole thing

EJ316

Reaction score
This is quite strange because I literally woke up this morning with exactly the same idea. I have enough room and I will have enough money (I hope, not sure how much it will cost) Trouble is I'm good at thinking up a plan but not great at executing it :p But it will be nice to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
You can CNC parts? Prepare for a PM.
You may regret that announcement! :lol:

I've got access to a 50x50" waterjet table and a few 3 axis VMCs. I don't regret announcing that, because it's fun building stuff. If I can help, all the better. :)

EJ316

Reaction score
I've got access to a 50x50" waterjet table and a few 3 axis VMCs. I don't regret announcing that, because it's fun building stuff. If I can help, all the better. :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is CNC etc? I assume it is something to do with crafting panels and such.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is CNC etc? I assume it is something to do with crafting panels and such.
CNC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC

Think of it as an automated router. The waterjet is used for cutting out shapes from sheets of something - very accurately.

-----Posted Added-----

Well, I talked to my dad about just starting off with one panel, but he said even that might be too advanced for a first step. He suggested finding the most commonly used switches, and making them, then if I get the hang of that, I can make a panel, then the whole thing
With all due respect for your dad, its easier to work on switches when they're mounted to something. :) A piece of 1/8" hardboard (Masonite) is great for prototyping, and some (ednixon) have used it for the actual control panels. Cheap and easy to cut/drill/paint.

The big question is do you want to start with the electronics aspect, or the immersive experience of something to sit in? You could start with something as simple as building some side tables for a joystick and throttle.

Adding switches requires a decision on how to interface the switches to the computer. This requires hardware and potentially some software.

The wiki has some suggestions. HTH

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, those guys over there are good help. They won't have any specific information about interfacing Oribtor though. The general information they do have is very good even though it's more MSFS specific.
Yea, a lot of good stuff there. Another builder site I frequent heavily is the forum at http://flightdecksolutions.com. If you want to get ideas on flight deck layouts from what commercial airliners do, there is airliners.net.

I guess I should update the wiki page with the other references I normally use, too.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey, another one. I'm planning to build a quite simple one. I found a guy who already did a deltaglider simpit although he quited it.
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/orbitsim/Design.html
Also i read something about the modding of a usb keyboard as buttons but i couldn't find the details about it. maybe someone here knows.
Yes, that's one of the links on the wiki page.

I've seen keyboard mods in a couple places. If you search the web, you'll probably find more than one.

timex21

Reaction score
I wish you all the best of luck!

:speakcool: I've been dreaming of doing this for several years now. I can only contribute some excellent threads that I've found. In addition to simpits.org and viperpits.org, take a look at www.mikesflightdeck.com for some truely awesome ideas about this past-time. Also look at www.hanskrohn.com/start.htm. This man's simpit project and attention to detail are awe-inspiring.
If you are looking for an interface method, you might want to look at a commercial product call EPIC - http://www.flightlink.com/epic/. This is an expensive initial out-lay, but it can be setup to handle complex key-press sequences (like lshift+F1, lshift+s to put the surface MFD in the left MFD slot). It comes with a programming language that can setup MANY things, including controling external devices like gauges and servo motors... let your imagination run WILD! I know mine does!
I've been looking into starting my own simpit for both MSFS and Orbiter for quite a while now, but being an appartment dweller doesn't really leave me with much room for this kind of a project. For the time being, I'll just have to watch your progress and try to help as much as I can. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know!

*Salutes* Good luck pilot!

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
:speakcool: I've been dreaming of doing this for several years now. I can only contribute some excellent threads that I've found. In addition to simpits.org and viperpits.org, take a look at www.mikesflightdeck.com for some truely awesome ideas about this past-time. Also look at www.hanskrohn.com/start.htm. This man's simpit project and attention to detail are awe-inspiring.
If you are looking for an interface method, you might want to look at a commercial product call EPIC - http://www.flightlink.com/epic/. This is an expensive initial out-lay, but it can be setup to handle complex key-press sequences (like lshift+F1, lshift+s to put the surface MFD in the left MFD slot). It comes with a programming language that can setup MANY things, including controling external devices like gauges and servo motors... let your imagination run WILD! I know mine does!
I've been looking into starting my own simpit for both MSFS and Orbiter for quite a while now, but being an appartment dweller doesn't really leave me with much room for this kind of a project. For the time being, I'll just have to watch your progress and try to help as much as I can. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know!

*Salutes* Good luck pilot!

Yep, those are some pretty good sites. There is more than just building with simpit. Those that can't build can instead help add to the knowledge-base and even help with designs. There are a lot of things that can be done to help the community overall with simpits that doesn't involve actually building. Programmers and designers are very important aspects too. :speakcool: