SDK Question Aerodynamics of control surfaces

Suborbital

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand more about how control surfaces are defined for vessels, and what they actually do aerodynamically.

For the main airfoils, I must provide a function to CreateAirfoil which calculates CL, CM and CD based on AoA. However, when defining a control surface using CreateControlSurface, the only aerodynamic info I have to provide is a delta-CL value for full deflection, as well as an area and a centre of pressure (which I imagine are used with the dynamic pressure to calculate the force and moment values, as with an airfoil).

So, my question is - how are the control surfaces actually modelled with this limited info? Do they just produce a fixed CL/CD proportional to deflection, or is AoA taken into account under the hood too? Do they share info with the airfoils at all or do they produce a totally independent force?

Thanks, appreciate the help :)

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't imagine that they depend on the airfoil (other than requiring an airfoil to work at all). So I assume that they just provide the lift normal to the z axis (up) through the centre of pressure.
So I don't think they take the AoA into consideration.

But, as neither of us have access to the underlying code, your guess is (at least) as good as mine. :)