Addon Request, USMC skin for Shuttle

Graham2001

Reaction score
A while back Jason Benson did a [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2784]Moonraker[/ame] skin for the stock Atlantis, but it was not the only variant shuttle paint scheme to appear in the film.

According to Wikipedia's page on military space shuttles:

Wikipedia said:
...carrying a platoon of spacesuited, laser-armed United States Marines to successfully attack the previously-concealed space station of Hugo Drax. This may not be a 'covert' spacecraft, however, as it's plainly marked with Marine Corps logos...

It's been a while since I've seen the film in question so I have not yet confirmed if this is indeed the case, but if the information is correct this might make for an interesting 'third skin' for the stock Atlantis.

Last edited:

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have to say I agree with this request. Especialy with the new DG-XR1 in the works from the Antares Development team. It would be great to see the Scarlet and Gold in orbit.:speakcool: A cobat grey 2 tone pattern with the USMC logo on the wings and flanks ...... OOHRAAAAH !:cheers:

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can give it a go if someone can tell me what the relevant files are. A layered .psd file would be great, but I can try to work with a .dds

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm partial to this USMC paint scheme, but it makes no sense for a shuttle orbiter, which is colored the way it is for thermal reasons. Still it would look cool:

jacksonav8e.jpg

Graham2001

Reaction score
As soon as I have a copy of the film I'll see about doing a screen cap. I suspect it's going to be something fairly simple like USMC logos in place of NASA ones.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is some preliminary work just using the dds file in Textures2. It's harder to work with since I lose so much detail unless I trace everything into separate layers which is very labour intensive given the quality of the detail already present. I was thinking of using markings from VMM-162 Golden Eagles. It's a USMC MV-22 Osprey squadron. Maybe change the VMM to SMM?

Attachments

• Marine STS.jpg
    Marine STS.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 32

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let's see, in U.S. Naval speak, "VMM" stands for:

V: Fixed-wing
Middle M: Marine
M: Medium lift

After a google search I cannot find any system the Navy Department has for designating space squadrons, probably because there has never been one. The USAF does have space squadrons, but they have a totally different designation system for their units.

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/squades.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_aircraft_squadrons

I don't see any squadron designation starting with an S for either service, so you might get away with it, but I would think twice and do some more digging first.

For starters, the Rockwell Space Shuttle is a fixed-wing vehicle, so the "V" may stick around, especially given the Navy's traditional ways.

Consider this: The Marine helicopter squadron that flies the president around (this is the one you see on the White House lawn with the crew chief wearing dress blues) is called HMX-1. The "X" usually means an experimental or test squadron of some sort, but it's also used to designate "special purpose". Since a Marine squadron flying space shuttle orbiters would definitely be an oddball special purpose squadron, it could be "VMX-something". According to wikipedia, the only VMX squadron currently stood up is VMX-22, the Osprey test and evaluation unit. Maybe VMX-99? (All hail the Great One)

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You know, now that I think on it, I have seen mission logos and such on the aft inside wall of the shuttlebay from time to time. Maybe you could put a more detailed texture there or add it as a mesh group that uses materials only ???

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Let's see, in U.S. Naval speak, "VMM" stands for:

V: Fixed-wing
Middle M: Marine
M: Medium lift

Thanks, Andy. I'll stick with the VMM designation. I knew that H was for helicopters, and thought I would go with S for shuttle, but since it is still a fixed wing craft, the V still makes sense. Maybe I'll take one of the present day VMM squadrons and make it VMX just so that I can use their squadron markings in addition to USMC markings. I'm planning on using the low-vis grey markings.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, now that I think on it, I have seen mission logos and such on the aft inside wall of the shuttlebay from time to time. Maybe you could put a more detailed texture there or add it as a mesh group that uses materials only ???

Unfortunately my meager skills are limited to skins, I have not yet ventured into the world of meshes. I'm still happy to consider any and all suggestions, I just may not incorporate some if they are beyond my skill set, although sometimes I learn new stuff along the way and I may be able to fit something in.

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's the best shot I could find.

Regards

Attachments

• moonraker.jpg
    moonraker.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 37

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Excellent screenshot, Chode. I can do that quite easily. Off to work now but I'll try to get on it this afternoon.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I still have to work on the tail section, then add unit markings, but this is what I have so far. Comments?

Attachments

• USMC STS.jpg
    USMC STS.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 28

Graham2001

Reaction score
It looks great. Only thing I can think of is that you need to swap the position of the word 'Marine' and the USAF logo to match the layout in Chode's snapshot from the film.

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looking good, but it's "MARINES", not "MARINE".

Regards

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking good, but it's "MARINES", not "MARINE".

Regards
You know I just noticed that about 2 min ago, probably when you were typing your post:lol:!

Does the SKIN parameter work for Atlantis, or will the MGAtlantis.dds file have to be overwritten? I'll need to know for the readme.

I also took out the USMC logo. I don't think it suited the 'operational' look I was going for. I hope the Marines of VMM-162 (Golden Eagles) don't mind the use of their crest (public domain, I checked!). The last thing I want are some Marines upset at me :).

It's not exactly the Moonraker scheme, more of an impression of what a USMC STS might look like, but in deference to Moonraker, I used the same tail identification.

Attachments

• USMC STS final.jpg
    USMC STS final.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 26

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Some handy paint work. :speakcool:

Graham2001

Reaction score
WOW! All you need to do now is enlarge the USAF logo (Star & Bar) and it'll be perfect.