achieving a orbit

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
after achieving a perfect circle orbit, can i start deorbit burn to land, or i should orbit.

Depends on your mission. If you want to land immediately, why did you achieve orbit? A sub-orbital hop can do the same.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I'd roll a die:

1: De-Orbit
2: TLI
3: Head to Mars
4: Head to outer systems
5-6: Burn in atmosphere

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd roll a die:

1: De-Orbit
2: TLI
3: Head to Mars
4: Head to outer systems
5-6: Burn in atmosphere

Better 2D6:

2: Full stop.
3-4: Deorbit.
5-6: GTO
7: Go to the moon.
8-9: Go to mars
10: Visit Jupiter
11: Visit Saturn
12: Roll again and achieve both goals.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
after achieving a perfect circle orbit, can i start deorbit burn to land, or i should orbit.
Just quick save where you're now on the orbit and then you can try deorbit,If you mess up,you can just start from the same position later again.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Instead of de-orbiting right away, you can orbit a few times and plan a de-orbit burn to land where you would like. Always be two steps ahead.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The original poster, while seemingly innocent, is asking some difficult questions:
Now that I'm in orbit, what now? Why go into space?
"iam_inorbit," indeed you are, congratulations. I saw some of your earlier posts where you were having a rough time getting there.

Why are you there? If you read other threads here, especially the threads about real, planned missions, you may start to understand the "why" part.

But why not post some reasons here...Why go into space? Here are a few reasons I can come up with:

1. Good business. Communications satellites, TV satellites, etc.
2. National security. Spy satellites, etc.
3. Science. Push out the frontiers of knowledge, learning more about the moon, other planets, other moons, other stars and their systems...
4. Long term survival of the species. We (humanity) need to spread out to increase our long term survival. Staying just "in our nest," on Earth, leaves us vulnerable, given climate change, pollution, and the possibility of large scale natural disasters happening every few thousand years (Yellowstone erupting, big meteor strike, that kind of thing.)
5. Go get vital resources (related to 1. and 4.) For instance, the moon might have enough He3 to power the world for many centuries. This alone is to me good enough reason to go to the moon and set up a permanent base.

(There are probably scads of threads this topic already, but I couldn't help myself ;) )

iam_inorbit

Entered the Orbit.
Reaction score
Website
www.astrofame.blogspot.com
"MajorTom" you got me Wrong. I your post, you said that you have read my previous Threads & posts... So you'll know that I am a Beginner. I have Recently learned that How to go in Orbit? with DG. So First I wanted to learn some Basic things in space like liftoff, how to get circular orbit, deorbit, reentry, landing etc. Before going to a planned Mission in space. I agree with what you said in your reply. Thanks For that.

I was a bit confused with reentry, so I posted this thread. I am new so iam asking some questions which might be silly for all orbiters over here. please don't mind.

Tommy

Reaction score
When you should de-orbit depends on where you want to land. Open up MapMFD, and see if your orbit is passing over the base. If not, you'll have to wait, adjust your orbit, or use a high cross-range re-entry.

Option 1 : As long as your orbital inclination is higher that the latitude of the base, you can just wait. As you orbit, your path will appear to move westward (at least if you have "non-spherical gravity sources" enabled in the launchpad). De-orbit when you path is close to the base.

Option 2 : You can adjust your path so that it will cross directly ofer the base. Use BasesyncMFD, and read this thread -
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5900&highlight=Aerobrake

Option 3 : some vessels, like the DG types, can use the atmosphere to chang their heading by banking during re-entry. This is a more advanced manuever, and should wait until you have more practice.

AerobrakeMFD will help with the re-entry. See this thread -
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6185&highlight=Aerobrake

iam_inorbit

Entered the Orbit.
Reaction score
Website
www.astrofame.blogspot.com
ISS journey.

when going towards ISS, when i use Allign Planes MFD, When point P comes towards me It says ENGAGE THREUST orbit-Normal(+) or (-) is it means that i should press the button Normal + & - in default autopilot pannel.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
You can try to dock with ISS or MIR and deorbit it. I know when I finish my solar system tour I will take XR2 up to MIR and try to deorbit it into Pacific ocean to dispose off properly.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
when going towards ISS, when i use Allign Planes MFD, When point P comes towards me It says ENGAGE THREUST orbit-Normal(+) or (-) is it means that i should press the button Normal + & - in default autopilot pannel.
Yes. When the line is getting towards the DN line, get ready to have to go Normal(+), and when it's getting towards the AN line, get read to have to go Anti-Normal(-). And of course, when it says ENGAGE THRUST you should probably engage thrust. :p As the numbers (RInc and a few others) approach 0, it will only allow shorter bursts of thrust and at some point you'll need to use linear RCS translation thrust. (maybe even at 10% thrust (CTRL+9 while in linear RCS)). In the end you should have a few numbers(RInc, Tth and/or Tn I think) as close to 0 as possible and your line may stay steady right in between the AN and DN points.
EDIT: READ THIS!!!: http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/orbitaloperations.htm

Tommy

Reaction score

Yes. When oriented, engage full thrust to reduce the RInc.

Ideally, you will be oriented Normal (+) or Anti-normal (-) before the "engage thrusters" sign flashes. Just remember DN is "do normal" and AN is "antinormal".

AN and DN actually stand for something else (Ascending Node and Descending Node). The tutorial "Go Play In Space" wll tell you more.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes,when point P is getting close to the AN,you should have your autopilot engaged to normal-,getting close to DN menans engaging normal + autopilot.
If your plane adjustment is not requiring more than few seconds of burn,linear thrusters can do the job too,means only forward or reverse thrusters need to be used.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, for whatever reason, burning orbit Anti-normal and orbit normal will slightly affect the eccentricity of the orbit.
And just for the record, having a circular orbit is really nice, I love them, I try to insert into as close a one as I can when flying depending on the mission, but it's not a requirement or anything.

-Pv-

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Any Pe above 180KM altitude above Earth surface will result in an orbit you can keep for a very long time. If you are using Normal or anti-normal for alignment, the change in orbit Ecc will be small. If all you are doing is getting into orbit long enough to align to a landing site and deorbit, you can settle for a very eliptical orbit that keeps you out of the atmosphere for several orbits. Circular obits are easier to manage and have more options for other types of activities.
-Pv-