Support About SSU 4.2

MyNasaMissions

Reaction score
Hello Orbiter friends... i want to ask for something, i really love SSU but i dont know how to play :facepalm:
I want to ask someone for a tuturial, i cant do things like get in orbit, operate rms etc etc... xD ty in advance guys :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How much do you know about the Space Shuttle in a technical sense? If your answer is "nothing" or "not much really", then for everyone's sake please stay away from SSU as it is oriented towards the more "nitty&gritty" users that love technical details.

You must and I'm not joking about this, must be willing to spend a significant amount of time reading the various technical manuals and documents that is available. If you're not willing to spend the time learning the basics on your own, then don't expect any useful replies. The Space Shuttle was a very complicated machine and required dozens of specialized teams to operate properly and safely.

MyNasaMissions

Reaction score
Meybe you are right Daves... i dont know much about Space Shuttle, but... i have a lot of time to spend and i really want to learn... Ty for your attention :D

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What are the xyz coordinates of the payload bay attachments ?

MyNasaMissions

Reaction score
Donamy, I'm a beginner in SSU, like all beginners I just want to learn, I just want to start at the beginning, make a safe orbit, because I still can not put space shuttle in orbit, I do not know how to use CRT's etc etc... Maybe a tutorial or a video tutorial helps because it is something that is not seen frequently on youtube. Ty for your attention guys

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you tried "Go play in Space" ? It is a great tutorial for beginners.

Thorsten

Reaction score
I know the idea of a simple tutorial seems compelling - but it's not so easy. The manual for my Shuttle project gets you into a stable orbit on page 45 - so despite flying on autopilot, there's a sizable chunk of information you need to process. As has been said earlier, it's a complicated machine, it has a non-intuitive avionics interface, don't expect anything in a hurry.

Of course you could write a list like 'push this button, then flick that switch, when two minutes have passed flick that other switch...' Or make a video... Except it wouldn't really help you so much, because once you flick the wrong switch or mix up a number you have to be able to correct, and for that you need to understand what you're doing.

Part of the problem is that many operations or even gauges require a context - for instance while the main engines are burning helium pressures and regulator pressures take a lot of space on the display - which means you need to understand what helium is for in the context of the MPS, you need to understand what the regulator pressure is, what it's supposed to be, what to do if it is off-nominal... and only then can you do anything useful with the MPS/OMS display.

Expect that you have to work through something like the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual (SCOM, some 1000 pages, but all in public domain) to know what the systems are and how they work - possibly even supplemental material before you can start to do anything meaningful.

I've tried to condense and streamline the original Shuttle documentation into something more tutorial like for my Shuttle sim project - to the degree that this aims to be as close as possible to real Shuttle ops, and so does SSU, you may or may not find it helpful as background reading - it's (in the full version) nearly 200 pages, about 1/5 of SCOM, so you still don't get off lightly...

I appreciate your desire to learn, and you're welcome to have a look - the basic version can be obtained from my site - I honestly don't know if it will make it any easier to get started with SSU but you'll get things like the avionics interface explained.

MyNasaMissions

Reaction score
Im trying to follow some instructions but its really hard... But im here to learn ;) Im trying to use some codes after ET SEP, right mfd OPS2 and e put item 22 exc 27 and 23 but nothing happen xD ill still trying ;) I know when do the menouvers, like AN - DN... Pro grade and Retro but in shuttle fleet... i think i have to load all information to Shuttle pc's and press EXC when im in right possition for apoapsis and perapsis... Im here for the fight :) Ty all of you gyes ;)

Thorsten

Reaction score
Im trying to use some codes after ET SEP, right mfd OPS2 and e put item 22 exc 27 and 23 but nothing happen xD ill still trying

* read up on the relation between keyboards, IDPs and major function switches

A keystroke will be transmitted to an IDP, it will only seen by a display (MDU) if the MDU is set to display DPS in the first place and if the same IDP is controlling the active port of the MDU you're looking at.

Thus, there's several things that cause key input to not do what you expect.

* read up on OPS and major modes

After ET SEP you should *not* be in OPS 2, till the OMS-2 burn finishes you should still be in OPS 1 (and PEG-4 targets do not work in OPS 2). You should be in major mode 104 (OMS 1 MNVR EXEC) to enter and fire OMS-1 burn targets.

This is not a joke - even while they look similar, the MNVR displays actually do not function the same way in every major mode.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know the idea of a simple tutorial seems compelling - but it's not so easy. The manual for my Shuttle project gets you into a stable orbit on page 45 - so despite flying on autopilot, there's a sizable chunk of information you need to process. As has been said earlier, it's a complicated machine, it has a non-intuitive avionics interface, don't expect anything in a hurry.

Well, I am sure, we could get this done in less than 45 pages... maybe 10. That is the number of pages you really need in the Ascent Checklist, plus one page: "Just follow orders for now, you can try flying the maneuvers from Space Cowboys later":lol:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I am sure, we could get this done in less than 45 pages... maybe 10. That is the number of pages you really need in the Ascent Checklist, plus one page: "Just follow orders for now, you can try flying the maneuvers from Space Cowboys later":lol:
I still find the entry scenes a bit unsettling as it shows the left wing being ripped apart. I guess they didn't know what would unfold just a few years later.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I still find the entry scenes a bit unsettling as it shows the left wing being ripped apart. I guess they didn't know what would unfold just a few years later.

Alone being able to land with ALL GPCS faulted is a pretty impressive achievement. :lol:

MyNasaMissions

Reaction score
Hy guys, im trying to read and read a lot to try do something but... Its pretty hard. I have to learn a lot, but ty for your all comments :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hy guys, im trying to read and read a lot to try do something but... Its pretty hard. I have to learn a lot, but ty for your all comments :)

Well, the biggest issue is: If you are not born in the nineteen seventies, you won't understand the Shuttle technology easily. Even with all 90s updates, its a product of the 1970s. The UI design is a result of the available technology at that time - the AP-101S+MEDS could do better, but the AP-101B was barely able to handle the requirements of the astronauts.

So, you have some strange steam engine like vehicle with steampunk like user interfaces. And then you should fly into space with it. Good luck. :lol:

Thorsten

Reaction score
That is the number of pages you really need in the Ascent Checklist, plus one page: "Just follow orders for now, you can try flying the maneuvers from Space Cowboys later"

If you have the background, then yes. If you do not - well, you can dispense with the ascent checklist, do it all on one page telling you where the AUTO pushbuttons are and then you can lean back, cross your fingers and hope for the best. In a simulation, we can actually make it work out reliably, every time, on time.

Because a 'Last return' callout sure won't help you a bit if you don't know what it means, even if you make it at the right inertial speed.

Tarantul

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think a good starting point in understanding the STS project is to try Space Shuttle Mission 2007 simulator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Mission_2007

It doesn't have a cut-edge graphics, and physics particulary looks simplified, but it offers a good range of real-shuttle procedures together with some in-game explanations and advises (and some manual, too). And step-by-step historical missions.

It's a worth thing to try, and if it's doesn't scares you, you next step will be, yes, to dive deep into SCOM and all this stuff, but this way you already will feel the taste of the "spaceship for pilots", and learning will be enjoyable. :)