Gaming 'A Slower Speed of Light' Simulates a World Where c is Lowered to Walking Pace

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
MIT has created a new open-source game in which relativity plays a pivotal role in the gameplay; as items are collected, the speed of light is slowed down drastically, and extreme relativistic effects occur.

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

They are also working on a toolkit for the Unity engine to allow the creation of more games which simulate relativity.

Very cool stuff! :) I'm sure this will help a lot of people to understand the strangeness that is relativistic mechanics.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Requirements

A Slower Speed of Light has been tested on computers with the configurations listed below.

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 or Core i7 (2.8GHz clock speed)
• Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
• AMD Radeon HD 6970M/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4850/Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
• 8GB RAM

I need a better PC :(

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I need a better PC :(
Not real 'requirements'. They only tested it on such computers, probably because they haven't had other. You can read below these requirements:
Some users have reported that the game may run on Windows XP and 2GB RAM. A known bug will crash the game on computers with some Intel graphics chipsets.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I remember there was a similar program some time ago. It was called Real Time Relativity and I had a lot of fun with it. It wasn't exactly a game though, more like a plaything or a toy. I'll certainly take a look at this one when I get on my PC, thanks for sharing!

FADEC

Reaction score
Reminds me of virtual bicycling through a German town called Tuebingen. The idea was to lower c to 30 kmh in order to give people an impression how Tuebingen would look like if you would cycle through the town.

Just switch to 1:30

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly it crashes after telling me the story :(..
quote: "...A known bug will crash the game on computers with some Intel graphics chipsets...."
I might have one of the "some".

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
totally downloading... i only have i5, so heres hoping

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
This seems like a safe alternative to netmeg. ;)
I don't know why I didn't post about it when I saw this the other day. :p I was looking for Robotany and noticed they had DOZENS of games since then.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nice, really nice.
Colours are somewhat confusing - from my experiments i'd expected them to be different, but MIT people likely know better.

I wonder if inertial controls were intentional - i expected FPS-like ones.
Would have made it too simple, maybe.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Lovely :love:. :lol:
Very educational, I never knew that our vision changes when travelling at such big fractions of c.

It runs perfectly on my laptop compared to KSP, which also uses the Unity engine. I'll try it on my oldest (Geforce 2) computer soon.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
dang this is too much for my laptop,its about 2 frames per second:(

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
boy! that was interesting!

curiously enough, it was built on Unity3D (you can tell by the standard options dialog on launch) - the same engine that runs KSP :p

now i wonder how it was achieved, being that Unity has no built-in support for things THAT extraordinary, and that's no simple camera effect - the whole world geometry morphs when you accelerate, excellently done i must say!

HarvesteR oughta see this - maybe KSP could feature this stuff someday.... now that'd be interesting, indeed :tiphat:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Nice, really nice.
Colours are somewhat confusing - from my experiments i'd expected them to be different, but MIT people likely know better.

Experiments? What exact discrepancies are you finding?