Idea A new take on orbiter online

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One of the main reasons that orbiter multiplayer won't work is time acceleration. It would be tedious without it, and annoying if each user had seperate control.

Well, how about a client that runs seperate "rooms" where there is just one ship. Players could choose whether they would like to be in mission control, or piloting/sitting in the ship. Mission control could manage time acceleration, as well as stuff like the course and mission plan. The actual mission control itself could be a building shaped ship with a complicated panel that is linked to the other ship.

Tell me what you think :)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I think this is not a bad idea. But developement is currently at the stage where fluid vessel motion and transmitting animations etc. is much more important than this.
The idea is not a bad one. Not a new one either...

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think this is not a bad idea. But developement is currently at the stage where fluid vessel motion and transmitting animations etc. is much more important than this.
The idea is not a bad one. Not a new one either...

Fluid motion wouldn't have to be transmitted, just raw data like PEA,APA etc, because the mission control peope wouldn't need to see the craft.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about mission control. I was talking about direct ship2ship interaction.
It is not nice to dock to a jumping target etc. :p

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
VMC already sort of does this I think. But don't feel bad, it's obviously a good idea or it wouldn't have been done! It is of course a bit different from what you're talking about and MCC and player both have control over time accel.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ahh well. I might start work on it anyway, seeing as I'm really bored. Feel free if you want to help me :)

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another idea I just had -

How about sending only keystrokes across the internet, and then a client emulates them? no more jumpy targets that way.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This will not work. Even the smallest ping will screw up synchronacy. You will eventualy have two completely different scenarios running.
You'd still have to sync the clients, and with OMP bandwidth is not really an issue, so there is only very little to save by using this method.