Request A light with an on/off switch ?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could someone make a spot light .dll that can be turned on and off, be attached and only shine in one direction ?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could someone make a spot light .dll that can be turned on and off, be attached and only shine in one direction ?
Hi Don,
I'd be happy to oblige (least I can do etc.)

I assume you mean a "spotlight vessel" - I can make it quite simply, so that the user can change the associated mesh, and spotlight range and angular spread.

Would that suit your needs?

ATB,
Brian

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I assume you mean a "spotlight vessel" - I can make it quite simply, so that the user can change the associated mesh, and spotlight range and angular spread.

Does it need a mesh at all?

cmoon55

Reaction score
re spotlight vessels

Oh that would be wonderful! When I was working in the "Alien Revisited" add-on I wanted something like that to simulate the flood lamps used during the lading scene on LV 426.:thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Don,
I'd be happy to oblige (least I can do etc.)

Would that suit your needs?

ATB,
Brian

That would be awesome! Thankyou Brian. Could it also have a view to be used a camera view?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don - you can go to the cockpit view of the "spotlight" vessel, if that's what you mean (light shines in +Z direction, so default cockpit view is along the light beam).

C3PO - I'll supply a basic spotlight mesh (suitable for mounting on a vessel)
, but the mesh is specified in the .cfg file so you could change it (and the attachment points, touchdown points, etc etc).

hmmmmmm.........
I seem to be having a problem getting the damn thing to switch on at the moment! (I've done all this before for my launch pads...grrrrr)

No worries....will be working soon no doubt. Need to take a break and have a cuppa....

Cheers,
Brian

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can't wait Brian !!!:salute:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
C3PO - I'll supply a basic spotlight mesh (suitable for mounting on a vessel)
, but the mesh is specified in the .cfg file so you could change it (and the attachment points, touchdown points, etc etc).

OK. I thought that the visible spotlight mesh would be a part of the main vessel, and the spotlight mesh would be an invisible triangle. I have such a dummy mesh that I use for TransX target "vessels" etc.
But with your method both options are available. Good job!

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Will this actually be a light source that can illuminate a target, or just a "special effect?"

If the former, this will be a much used addon!

(And a pretty cool one otherwise, even if it doesn't.)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
C3PO - Yep, you can have no mesh, if you like :)

Mandella - it uses the latest Orbiter version's "multiple light sources" feature, so - yes, it will illuminate a target.

Now up on OH
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5123"]Spotlight Vessel[/ame]

P.S. Ooops, forgot to include the C++ source code in the .zip, never mind - I'll put it in the final version.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm all giddy !!! :lol:

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I was wanting a generic spotlight unit as well. Good to hear it's been produced already:)

How does it work when mounted on a vessel? Like those sub-hunting searchlights they used in WW2?

Is there any way to make the lights illuminate the ground texture as well? I notice the XR ships' landing lights illumulate ownship's hull and other vessels, but sadly not the ground terrain.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How does it work when mounted on a vessel? Like those sub-hunting searchlights they used in WW2?
I'm not very familiar with sub-hunting in WWII, but - probably, yes :)

Is there any way to make the lights illuminate the ground texture as well? I notice the XR ships' landing lights illumulate ownship's hull and other vessels, but sadly not the ground terrain.
I think we're up against the limits of Orbiter/DirectX lighting here. I assume the XR lights work the same way, so will have the same limitations.

Cheers,
Brian