2014 World Cup

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Despite all that happened here, the tournament is coming...

We haven't the atmosphere of the other World Cup years, every four years we decorate the country with flags and you used to sense it in the air - this year things are weird, maybe because of the excessive police force on the streets, but this is for The Basement.

I bet for a South American final, since the winner of South America-hosted Cups has been always from the subcontinent. Brazil (host and always a favourite), Argentina (has Messi and a good team) or Uruguay (Copa America title holder, despite the problem with Suárez) take the title, IMO.

Bonus: always cool to see your home city in a promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXYwaDAselQ

thor36

Reaction score
Nice to see someone bring up that topic =) I don't know what to make of this tournament ( sportswise and atmospherewise ). It's interesting to hear from a Brazilian to say there isn't so much of a world cup atmosphere there, since you are the darn hosts ! But I noticed same thing here, and also talking to other football freaks,... There is no such world cup fuss as there usually was.

I was never good in predicting finals, so I will not go about embarrassing myself here :D but I expect good results from Belgium ;)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Here's hoping the US makes it past the quarter finals this year.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
The biggest thing i noticed in daily life is the omnipresence of police officers - it would be VERY nice if they could stay here after the tournament, but the "new" 2000 officers in my city were recruited from the entire state. Also, every day with matches in the city will be a city holiday (5 days here) and days when Brazil plays will be "half-holidays" (as usual in previous World Cups). So, we're adapting to the schedule.

If you turn on the TV, you'll see the anchors and TV hosts screaming "football", "Brazil" and "Neymar" as expected, but this isn't reflecting in real life. If you look at social media here, it seems that the Cup will be several months ahead, despite the opening game being next thursday. Maybe things change next week.

I don't think we'll have mass demonstrations like 2013. Things are different this year (no anger about bus fares, per example) and only the activist core is protesting. But, for sure, what happened last year is giving a contribution the the weird atmosphere.

Talking about football: today Brazil scored 4-0 against Panama. The typical game to mesh the team, I expect a more "indicator" game (regarding the chances of victory) against Serbia.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
It was nice to see the US grab the win over Turkey last Sunday. Clint Dempsey is looking to be in good form, so thus far things look promising.

Actually, on a semi-related note, I went to a Seattle Sounders FC (MLS) match last Saturday, and they got a nice 4-0 win over Real Salt Lake, even without the two starters who were called up to the national squad earlier. Fantastic atmosphere at CenturyLink Field. There are usually over 40,000 people per game.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 AM ----------

Only if you start calling the game by its real name: football :lol:

:lol:Actually, it's rather interesting that "soccer" is actually a short-hand version of "Association Football".

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

While I have high hopes with the United States team (especially with Jürgen Klinsmann as coach), getting off group G against Germany, Portugal and Ghana is very, very difficult. Well if they managed to do that then maybe there's a chance of that happening..... :lol: (but beware that the Belgians from group H would provide headaches in the last 16)

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
In my country has experienced a great chauvinism by World Cup, people are dumbed buying new TVs of 40 inches, 70 inches and more.
Normally this furor is used here to try to hide sensitive topics (such as tax increases) at the Congress of the nation.
epic-facepalm.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In my country has experienced a great chauvinism by World Cup, people are dumbed buying new TVs of 40 inches, 70 inches and more.
Normally this furor is used here to try to hide sensitive topics (such as tax increases) at the Congress of the nation.

LOL, the same here in Germany...

I bought my 42" TV for the last European Championship... and my parliament used a vote with only 20 MPs present for confirming a unpopular and unconstitutional law, while the German team was playing against Italy again.

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Your types for winner?

Spain will be high, Brasil, Belgium can be black horse. Can't forget Netherlands. But I think Germany will win the cup.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Uneducated guess:
If Brazil ends up in the final, it will be against Spain and Brazil wins...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also think, the best chances has Brazil this year. Germany is not in the best shape, also you can see an old proverb in the German team: "A general always fights his last victory."

The USA are very high on my list, because, despite not being a very successful team in world championships, they have done a perfect qualification even against tougher opponents. They are ready for it.

England will be far out, so will be Russia. Brazil is no country for old men. It is especially disappointing that Russia is not even trying to build up a team for 2018, those players this year are almost pensioners, no novices who might use this tournament for gaining world cup experience. 2018 will be really tough for them regarding the inevitable expectations.

Belgium is some sort of a underdog favorite, but I think this won't be it.

And of course, there are the Netherlands, who can be very good for some days.

And in the end, Spain wins anyway. :rofl:

MattBaker

Reaction score

I'll be honest: That group will be the most interesting to me. Germany, a title candidate, Portugal, definitly one of the Top 10, if Ronaldo is doing well, the US, maybe the best US team ever and Ghana, one of the most continous successful african teams and in my opinion even the best african team.

Sure Spain vs. the Netherlands or England vs. Italy and Uruguay will be great, too. But that group has four strong teams.

Also you know the CIA manipulates games if the US plays against Russia and Iran in the knockout stage. Operation True Patriot.

(but beware that the Belgians from group H would provide headaches in the last 16)

Belgium is the white-black horse to me. It's the obscure guess for semis so many bring up that it isn't a black horse anymore but everyone seems to think so. But I honestly doubt it, whole group G in the round of 16 and Switzerland or France in the quarters is on one level with them.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOL, the same here in Germany...

In germany, people at least don't take ridiculously overpriced consumer loans to buy their new TVs. Private debt in Bosnia is probably going to double. Who can takes a loan to fly to Brazil. Who can't takes a loan to buy a larger TV set. People will be selling land titles and houses to get over there... :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In germany, people at least don't take ridiculously overpriced consumer loans to buy their new TVs.

:embarrassed: Are you sure?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I also think, the best chances has Brazil this year. Germany is not in the best shape, also you can see an old proverb in the German team: "A general always fights his last victory."

The USA are very high on my list, because, despite not being a very successful team in world championships, they have done a perfect qualification even against tougher opponents. They are ready for it.

England will be far out, so will be Russia. Brazil is no country for old men. It is especially disappointing that Russia is not even trying to build up a team for 2018, those players this year are almost pensioners, no novices who might use this tournament for gaining world cup experience. 2018 will be really tough for them regarding the inevitable expectations.

Belgium is some sort of a underdog favorite, but I think this won't be it.

And of course, there are the Netherlands, who can be very good for some days.

And in the end, Spain wins anyway. :rofl:

Actually I think this year's German team is definitely better than that of 2006 and 2010 - in fact looking at the success of teams like Bayern Munich and Dortmund (as well as German players playing in other leagues, like Ozil) it's no wonder they are the favorites. However I can see one showstopper......ironically it's called Pep Guardiola. Yeah, his Barcelona-esque changes to the Bayern Munich team this season, while mostly effective, is a large change to the team's playing and does not seems to work well when facing the toughest challengers (completely ineffective against Real Madrid, for example). Given the German team's rather large dependence to Bayern Munich players, I fear that there will be problems with mixing the players to play well cohesively this year.... :shifty:

Spain? Maybe, but the Barcelona tic-tac-toe is on the decline, and I am not sure the national team will try something else.

This year's Brazil team is much better than that of 2010, especially those players from Chelsea FC are doing very well and should be useful in the competition. But I'm not sure they are in the top favorites yet....we shall see.

epic-facepalm.jpg

Oh you don't need to worry too much, for while Argentina has one of the best striker teams of the world (Messi, Sergio Aguero etc.), their defense is so weak (even worse than in 2010, IIRC) that they probably won't get too far in the knockout stages. :p Of course some of the teams might be even worse....(I'm looking at you, England.....)

Now France, on the other hand? That could be an interesting choice that many overlooked...... ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually I think this year's German team is definitely better than that of 2006 and 2010 - in fact looking at the success of teams like Bayern Munich and Dortmund (as well as German players playing in other leagues, like Ozil) it's no wonder they are the favorites.

The problem is the success. Özil is in a very bad physical state, he isn't playing good. Same applies to the players of Bayern, who also lack some energy now. Also, we still have the same problems left, the defense is depending on a few key players, with the alternatives left home for taking some poorly performing offensive players more to the tournament.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not entirely, no, but at least there a high-end TV set doesn't cost half a years salary...

For some many here it does. Still they will buy it. They will even buy it, despite the loan rates will really badly harm them for the next four years.

Its a status symbol... and very important even in really poor families. large TV and playstation for keeping the children happy.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Meanwhile, our 20-year-old CRT tv and late 70s/early 80s microwave appear to have in them the secret of immortality.