Question 2011: A year in reflection

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amongst the New Year wishes is usually one, that the next year be better than the previous ones. But, did last year's wish come true?

How was 2011 for you guys? Let's not go into politics, just keep in personal.

For me, 2011 was pretty good. I did go through more worries and hard work related to my university, but it ended up OK. The rest was definitely good and I can gladly say that 2011 was better than 2010 :)

EDIT:
Ugh! Just realized is my 3000th post! At least I didn't waste it :)

Last edited:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I don't make new year wishes; I'd forget them the day after.

For me, 2011 was a crappy year. January to March was emotionally rough, April to May was ok, summer was boring because of mom mom working, September to November I was struggling with some depression, and things evened out this month. I hope it stays this way for 2012.

And congrats on 3000!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Did good on my SAT, attended last space shuttle launch, became a senior in HS = Positives.

Breaking my ankle during STS-134 launch = huge negative.

About sums up my 2011.

Welcome 2012, the Mayan's seem oh so closer now.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2011 was either the worst, or second worst year of my life so good riddance. The main point was my grandfather dying this year of melanoma, and then I realized someone didn't really care about me and was being manipulative about it (IRC regulars know the whole story, which I won't post on the forum) which I discovered due to my grandfather dying and this person not seeming to care. Both of these (coupled with each other) and the aftermath have made this one of the worst years I've ever lived and am glad it's finally over.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
2011 was either the worst, or second worst year of my life so good riddance. The main point was my grandfather dying this year of melanoma, and then I realized someone didn't really care about me and was being manipulative about it (IRC regulars know the whole story, which I won't post on the forum) which I discovered due to my grandfather dying and this person not seeming to care. Both of these (coupled with each other) and the aftermath have made this one of the worst years I've ever lived and am glad it's finally over.

Well, here's hoping 2012 treats you much, much better, eh? :cheers:

As for me, 2011 was a relatively good year. Typical highschool stuff that I won't bore you older folk with, I've maintained decent grades, and am one year closer to college :thumbup:. In addition, I feel as though my foreign language ability has improved greatly this past year, so I am hoping that continues.

As always, I hope the upcoming year treats us all better than the previous:tiphat:

FADEC

Reaction score
For me a new year is nothing special at all. It's just one of the many man-made things. It is nothing more than a revolution around the sun, counting from a moment at which an allegedly son of god was born. The calculations and new years celebrations are temporal incorrect anyway. And this is only valid for a part of humankind. Nothing ends, nothing begins, nothing changes except numbers in our heads.

So based on my point of view on such things I don't need New Year wishes. I don't even celebrate New Year. But I understand what people mean by New Year wishes. But this is something which can be done every day or every moment. Past is something that does not exist. When you get up in the morning it is just another condition of the reality at which you can act differently than usual if you wish. You can be a better neighbour, a better brother, a better husband, a better father/mother, a better workmate, a better fellow being at any moment if you like. This is actually one of the greatest liberties we have. Nobody has to wait 356 - x days.

But how was 2011 for me? Well, not much different than the year before. And I am satisfied with my life and my environment seems to be satisfied with me. So it would be great if it continues that way :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, how to summarize the changes: new job, new apartment, no girlfriend. But I must say... I feel fine. The new job is epic, the new apartment still needs some work, but is great so far, being without girlfriend gives you the freedom to finally be really yourself again. You never notice how much you had been away from yourself, until you are attending a metal concert and realize that it was a while since you had been able to go to the last.

Spaceflight highlight 2011: The retirement of the Shuttle. You always wanted it to happen, and suddenly the world has a lot less to offer.

Personal Highlight 2011: The whole weekend around the Knorkator concert. A small adventure, great fun, and still echoing in my head.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Glad it's over.

Acquired one (1) girlfriend, did a lot of stupid things, nearly lost her, but here I am, exactly where I want to be spending the first day of 2012 with her.

Right then, anyway... :shifty:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
2011 was one of the more challenging years of my life.

I moved across the country for the promise of a job and to be with my (then) girlfriend. The job never fully materialized as budget cuts in Congress eliminated my position and the girlfriend left me for one of her exes. This left me single, unemployed, and 3,000 miles from home.

However, I kept my head above water and got a new job. Met a wonderful woman on my birthday who after 7 months of dating, I was lucky enough to share my New Years kiss with her.

I have made some friends, lost a few, and at 25 I finally feel like an adult that has tackled significant challenges. Here's to 2012 being a lot easier on the soul.

Ark

Reaction score
Terrible. Started the year hating my job, lost my job in April, and just now I'm about to start a job with much better pay that hopefully won't be so terrible. But yeah, 2011 sucked and I'm glad to see it gone.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, this thread is getting more depressive by the minute. Great depression, anyone?

I hope 2012 turns out better for all you guys! :cheers:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
2011 was sort of a meh year for me. No family health issues this year. I lost my father a few years ago to cancer and my mother had a scare in 2010, and you never really know if it is truly beaten and gone. I have a safe, stable job teaching which I enjoy immensely and which provides a lot of autonomy and free time. I am settling into my first house, which needs a *lot* of work, and I am struggling to come to peace with the fact that I may never get the house fixed up to the point I want it to be.

I've been struggling with where the world is going at many levels - it is hard for me not to be pessimistic. I sort of pine for the days before PCs and the internet where humans could work and live at a human pace, not a computer's pace. I think computers are wonderful tools but I think they have forced the pace of human activities to an unsustainable pitch, and I worry that some sort of crash will be needed before people really see that.

Anyway, not too bad, some nagging worries that I am working to jettison, but all in all doing OK. I'm hoping for more joy in 2012, for me and for everyone.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I had fun in the summer working for a tugboat and barge company, then in December, I bought a car.

1995 Subaru Legacy L. With a 2.2l EJ22.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Switching to retrograde from everyone's depressing year (which I'm sorry to hear about guys, hope things are better in 2012! :yes:);

2011 for me was not so bad. I initially thought I had a medical scare, but turns out it was nothing serious. It was however the kick in the butt I needed to finally start exercising and eating better. I started running, doing some weight training, and now cycling which has seen me lose about 20 pounds over the past 6 months. I ran my first 10K (see my avatar) and registered for a half-marathon this coming March. Business has been good, so I am extremely thankful for that. Have lost many clients when the economy went down hill, but things have at least been turning up this past year. Still not married and in no rush at 30.

In the future, maybe racing bikes. :hmm:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
2011 was nothing special. I spent the entire year unemployed and had some rather heartwrenching issues hit me towards the end of the year (though the issues really belonged more to 2008, and had their roots even further back, it's just that the last month or so of 2011 made it clear that things weren't going to get any better). And it all managed to come to a head just in time for my birthday. Oh joy.

But 2011 wasn't much worse than 2010, which was halfways decent, and both were far better than 2008 or 2009. Still, about the last time I had a "Happy New Year" was 2007.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
It was absolutely great. One of my 2010 resolutions was to optimise my life, and it paid off. First off, I began investigating and experimenting with nootropics. This year, I've finished three semesters of exams I had left in my postgraduate program, started my BSc dissertation work, and did about a semester's worth of extracurricular research related to personal interests. For comparison, for the previous four years I've been struggling to complete the ordained two semesters per year.

I've also been attempting polyphasic sleep since my regular lectures ended in February, but settled on a 20:8 hour schedule instead, for en extra 5% of time conscious and an approximately extra 10% of time "fully awake" over a monophasic, day-synced schedule.