1998 SOS from Andromeda galaxy (Fake)

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I came across this little story while listening to a recording of a female cosmonaut who sounds very distressed. The cosmonaut is a story of its own and one I suspect we will never know the truth. But the idea was some cats over in Italy back in the mid 50's constructed a extraordinary HAM radio antenna. The "recorded" what sounds like a failed reentry of a soviet space craft and the female stating she was hot and could see flames. Anyways, I know.. We will never know the truth of whether its true or not.

BUT but but... This SOS thing. Yes, its fake I believe. This SOS signal traveled only 80k years from andromeda galaxy.. Simple math calls BS. Anyways, this SOS thing would make one AWESOME movie idea dont you think? Kinda like Contact or something...

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The whole distress signal thing from another galaxy reminds me of a alien contact scenario I tell people to illustrate my weirdness.

Anyway it goes something like this:

A team of amateur planet hunters sifting through 18 year old kepler data discovers data that indicates a normal star was marked as variable. And the reason it was marked as a variable is because over the course of 8 months it showed an increase in luminosity of about 0.02%.
They report the finding to a team of astronomers and members of the kepler team. The unified team analyzes the star but find nothing anamolous.

However 20 years later radio telescopes detect a radio howl coming from a star a few light years away from the first star and a few months later they detect a subtle increase in infrared radiation around the second star.

Proximus

Reaction score
The whole distress signal thing from another galaxy reminds me of a alien contact scenario I tell people to illustrate my weirdness.

Anyway it goes something like this:

A team of amateur planet hunters sifting through 18 year old kepler data discovers data that indicates a normal star was marked as variable. And the reason it was marked as a variable is because over the course of 8 months it showed an increase in luminosity of about 0.02%.
They report the finding to a team of astronomers and members of the kepler team. The unified team analyzes the star but find nothing anamolous.

However 20 years later radio telescopes detect a radio howl coming from a star a few light years away from the first star and a few months later they detect a subtle increase in infrared radiation around the second star.

Alien race move from one solar system to another?
A kepler detected planet destroyed?
What's actually happening in your scenario?
I need to know :p

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's 100% fake. For one thing radio transmissions are impossible during entry as the ionization caused by the plasma build up creates nothing but static. Second thing: Google "phantom cosmonauts". The results will tell you everything.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I know what happens: mankind understands this as a request of help from another civilization to move from a planet to another. Mankind undertakes the massive task of developing interstellar travel to answer the call (hoping that helping out the aliens would give us access to their own advanced technology).

An expedition is launched. After decades of near-lightspeed travel they reach the destination. The leader steps out and declares solemnly: "We have come here to answer your call for help."

The aliens: "Oh, thank goodness! We could never get that cupboard out of the bedroom on our own..."

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alien race move from one solar system to another?
A kepler detected planet destroyed?
What's actually happening in your scenario?
I need to know :p

Kepler spacecraft detects the light output from a large fusion or antimatter drive. These things have outputs that could outshine entire planets.

The spacecraft coasts for several decades until it reaches it's target at which point it deploys magneto plasma braking... And these things can be detected for hundreds of ly because of their loud radio "howl".

It then uses the rocket engine to finish off the deceleration upon and settles into orbit around the star.

Pretty much the plot is that a bunch astronomers detect a large multi-km multi million ton spacecraft based on observations of clearly artificial phenomena. And now, the scientific community and the world knows that there are aliens in large spacecraft zipping across interstellar space and the world is unsure on how to respond to the spacecraft and the people on earth trying to communicate with it(public data).

Last edited:

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I just want to say, I put fake in the title to denote that this was complete ... Fake. I avoid conspiracy land because its mainly people wanting to believe in bs. I also try not to wander very far into physics land either because of some invisible line than can be crossed into conspiracy land. It amazes me sometimes the creativity and the stretches they take with their "leaked information".

Generally the tip offs are written early on... Dead or Dying Scientist, Russian scientist (who is now dead), or someone who is alive but will not discuss with anyone anymore (because they know they are full of it.)...

Its all crap. The Russian cosmonaut seems plausible and given their ease to basically erase a blemish if something went wrong makes it even more believable. I choose not to go either way with it and just leave it be. I wouldnt doubt for a second that it was fake.

This is the internet... For every honest article or post there are ten more that are lies. The lies are now so vast, that they re-surface as new every few years. The only truth I can get is by reading several different articles on an event and piecing together the truth. It seems each article is peppered with opinions in an assumption you already feel a certain way about something or to make you feel that way.