Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Topper
Addon Developer

Default New Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Hello,
I've read an article that Microsoft will release a new version of Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2020? I have no Idea if it can keep up with the old version in terms of realism etc., I just have read this short articles and this trailer... The graphics looks great!

Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Notebook
Donator

It does look lovely. didn't Microsoft giveaway FS to Lockheed for the Prepare3d or similar.

Haven't kept up with MSFS for a few years, decided to go with Xplane only.
Getting too expensive to run two

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

I thought the Steam Edition or Lockheed Martins Prepar3D are the successors....
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Topper
Addon Developer

From wikipedia:
Quote:

Reboot
On June 9, 2019, Microsoft announced a new installment, simply titled 'Microsoft Flight Simulator', as part of their E3 conference and with a teaser video on their Xbox YouTube channel.[20] On the same day, Microsoft launched a new website for the title and opened registration for a public alpha and early forum access for members of the Xbox Insider Program.[21] The new version features tight integration of satellite data and Microsoft's own Azure AI into the simulator's engine to generate near photoreal graphics. Release date, pricing, and other features are yet to be announced. The simulator will be released in 2020 on Xbox and PC. It is also not clear if previous tons of add ons from 3rd party will be supported or not.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

At E3 2019, Microsoft revealed that they will be bringing back the Flight Simulator series with an updated release, featuring Microsoft's Azure AI. The new flight simulator includes 4K ground satellite textures and aircraft. The title is due to be released in 2020.[27] This is Microsoft's first simulator since Flight Simulator X in 2006 and Microsoft Flight in 2012.[28]
thats all at the moment...

Last edited by Topper; 06-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Fabri91
Donator

This looks to be a strong departure from the previous FS iterations also on a technical point of view, which could be positive since FSX, not being optimized for modern hardware at all, struggles to run fluidly even 13 years after its release.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabri91 View Post
 This looks to be a strong departure from the previous FS iterations also on a technical point of view, which could be positive since FSX, not being optimized for modern hardware at all, struggles to run fluidly even 13 years after its release.
I once read that the reason why MSFSX runs so badly is that back when it was still development, the dev team had to make a choice: either optimize it for multi-core CPUs or stick with single-core CPUs with an ever increasing clock speed. They went with the latter while actual PC CPUs went with the former.

The thought was that in a few years the CPU clockspeed would way past 5 GHz and just keep on increasing. They were wrong and the software has suffered for that wrong decision ever since.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 I once read that the reason why MSFSX runs so badly is that back when it was still development, the dev team had to make a choice: either optimize it for multi-core CPUs or stick with single-core CPUs with an ever increasing clock speed. They went with the latter while actual PC CPUs went with the former.

Actually, it wasn't really a choice. They developed the core functions of MSFS in the early days of personal computing, when even pipelining was a new thing.

You can't simply go and switch a single-thread application into a multithreaded application. You need to change many algorithms and data structures to support it. And a lot more to really gain performance that way.

And even then, you can't go and turn every algorithm into a parallel one. Some things are simply meant to be done in sequence. Even with a million technicians and engineers, you can't execute a pre-launch checklist faster on just one rocket.

(Which is why many smaller launch vehicles have a tiny advantage again)
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

Seeing as it is Microsoft... And Flight was so special... My hopes of this installment being good are somewhat dashed.

Maybe I'll be wrong and this won't be another "Vista" of their flight simulation software.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

I say that as I get this E-Mail from the competitor:

Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards View Post
 Seeing as it is Microsoft... And Flight was so special... My hopes of this installment being good are somewhat dashed.

Maybe I'll be wrong and this won't be another "Vista" of their flight simulation software.
Did you see the actual 4k real-time footage?

It's far beyond any PC sim I've ever seen.

I'm psyched about it!
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 Did you see the actual 4k real-time footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

It's far beyond any PC sim I've ever seen.

I'm psyched about it!
oh... my.... god...
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
4throck
Enthusiast !

What you see is a auto generated 3D mesh from satellite / aerial imagery. Just like Orbiter 2016 in fact.
And nothing new:
https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/arch...simulator.html

Here's something that runs on your browser.:
https://www.geo-fs.com/

Microsoft will have major problems with disk space, shadows present on the imagery, seasons (requires at least 4 global coverage datasets), "melted" trees, and national security restrictions on certain countries.
Let's see how they handle this...

Last edited by 4throck; 06-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

From reading about it, my impression is that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will stream the scenery and textures down from their AI-integrated Azure cloud and cache it locally as you need it rather than try to install all the scenery in the world locally, as previous-generation flight simulators do. In any case, however they do it, the results look stunning!
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Wolf
Donator

Well new products trailers are always a bit tricky (often raising the expectations beyond legit) but if the graphics, terrain and weather engine are even only 70% of what the video shows than Iíll surely give it a try
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
Fabri91
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 From reading about it, my impression is that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will stream the scenery and textures down from their AI-integrated Azure cloud and cache it locally as you need it rather than try to install all the scenery in the world locally, as previous-generation flight simulators do. In any case, however they do it, the results look stunning!
Generally I don't like software to require a constant internet connection, but if this is the result, I'm on board! Still, an option to download specific scenery areas would be nice.

Anyway, like for other software Microsoft has opened up an Insider program where pre-release versions will be available: https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/ins...ogram-sign-up/

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

A bit of additional information: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wa...t-supports-pc/
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 And even then, you can't go and turn every algorithm into a parallel one. Some things are simply meant to be done in sequence. Even with a million technicians and engineers, you can't execute a pre-launch checklist faster on just one rocket.

(Which is why many smaller launch vehicles have a tiny advantage again)
Just a sort of OT to tell that when I was working in Oil&Gas I encountered many clients who thought something different. To sum it up: if to build this offshore oil rig it takes 1 million man hours... just put 1 million workers and in 1 hour we'll get it
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge