Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old
Geek Penguin in GTO

Exclamation North Korea comes again for third attempt to send satellite into space in April
by Galactic Penguin SST 03-16-2012, 05:56 AM

A spokesperson from the Korean Committee for Space Technology has announced that they will launch Kwangmyongsong 3 into orbit between April 12 and April 16 using the "Unha 3" launch vehicle, marking one century since the birth of the late Kim Il-sung.

CNN story

BBC story
Views 14855 Comments 83
Total Comments 83

Comments

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
NovaSilisko
The Siliskoiest of Siliskos

I'll get the metal umbrella...
NovaSilisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
ED_4
Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSilisko View Post
 I'll get the metal umbrella...
Look out for falling debris eh?
ED_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Mantis
Orbinaut

Sounds like it's more like a thinly veiled attempt at an illegal missile test than a satellite launch.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
 Sounds like it's more like a thinly veiled attempt at an illegal missile test than a satellite launch.
Agreed. It's interesting to compare the Iranian approach: they at least never lie about launch success or failure (they just hide the failures), while the NKers still claim that the two launches in 1999 and 2009 were successful, and the satellites continue to broadcast songs about their Dear Leader....
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Florida Today: North Korea reveals details about new satellite:
Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea says it aims to estimate crop production and analyze natural resources when it launches a satellite on a long-range rocket next month.

The United States and South Korea view the launch as a cover for testing long-range missile technology.

An unnamed North Korean space technology official said Wednesday that foreign experts and journalists have been invited to show that the satellite has peaceful and scientific purposes.

He also told the official Korean Central News Agency that the satellite weighs 100 kilograms (220 pounds) and will orbit at an altitude of 500 kilometers (310 miles).

{...}
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

A rocket is a rocket. ICBM vs. launch vehicle is just a matter of payload and trajectory. Same with Atlas, Titan, and R-7.

IMHO trying to determine if it's an illegal missile test is pointless- of course it could do either.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
werdnaforever
Astroarchitect

I heard about this too. It reminds me of the story for that game, Homefront. (I haven't played it)

http://youtu.be/M9LCotgismA?t=1m54s

As an American, watching that intro creeps me out.

North Korea is still basically dependent on China, who could basically cut their supplies and starve them if they wanted. I wish China would just stop supporting them- if they're communists, why support fascism? Do they really hate the western world enough to fuel this pathetic regime who can barely feed their own people? They keep them isolated from the rest of the world and are practically the least concerned about human rights than anyone else on the planet. Why China? Now their trying to develop nukes!

Why is NK still here in this day and age?
werdnaforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdnaforever View Post
 Why is NK still here in this day and age?
Because for some political reason other countries decided to honour the idea of sovereignty in this case?
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

So,
having your country occupied and controlled by a foreign power, only to have it "liberated" by being torn apart by two other foreign powers with competing foreign ideologies, means that your sovereignty has been respected?
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdnaforever View Post
 I heard about this too. It reminds me of the story for that game, Homefront. (I haven't played it)
Are you seriously basing that argument on Homefront? Seriously, that game needs to go away, and fast. I've seen people on other boards freaked out to the brink by paranoia where none should exist in the first place because of this annoying fear-mongering.

It's entertainment for a reason...
Scruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
MattBaker
Orbinaut

Quote:
He also told the official Korean Central News Agency that the satellite weighs 100 kilograms (220 pounds) and will orbit at an altitude of 500 kilometers (310 miles).
Compared to Navid (Iran's latest baby): 50 kg, 250x370

I somehow doubt that, North Korea is capable to launch twice as much on a higher orbit than Iran?
MattBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBaker View Post
 I somehow doubt that, North Korea is capable to launch twice as much on a higher orbit than Iran?
It doesn't matter what you doubt. It matters what North Koreans will see in their universe.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
MattBaker
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 It doesn't matter what you doubt. It matters what North Koreans will see in their universe.
"President Obama, this rocket from the North Koreans failed and crashed in the Pacific" - "Fine!"
*somewhere else*
"I, the Supreme Leader, am happy to tell you, that we launched a satellite into orbit!" *cheering*

Like That?
MattBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBaker View Post
 Like That?
Come on, that lacks originality.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News