Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder
Post New Virtual Space Agency!

I just want to let everyone know that I've started a new virtual space agency called VOSSA! It's website is at http://www.azrockets.org/vossa/. I am currently the only member and am looking for people to help me finish the final preparations. Currently, I am looking for people to fill these positions:

-Director of Unmanned Spaceflight (in talks with someone about taking it)
-Director of Mission Control

If you are not interested in being a Director, you can just be an astronaut, spacecraft designer, or join mission control!

To join, click on the link named "Join" from the menu at the top.

Also, the website is not quite complete, however the parts that aren't finished aren't really important.

NOTE: Constructive criticism is welcome.

Last edited by EricEvan; 03-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.
EricEvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
Izack
Non sequitur

While I admit that your website looks impressive, why should I join this VSA, when at least once a month someone comes along, makes one up, fails to organise it, and then vanishes a few weeks later? What is different this time?

I'm not trying to be discouraging. If you can do it, please do. But can you?
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 While I admit that your website looks impressive, why should I join this VSA, when at least once a month someone comes along, makes one up, fails to organise it, and then vanishes a few weeks later? What is different this time?

I'm not trying to be discouraging. If you can do it, please do. But can you?
From what I've seen, most VSAs fail because they do not have a website set up. However, since I have already created the website, this removes that problem.

Also, I can put enough time into managing it to keep it active and organized.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Most VSAs fail because of a lack of direction and/or goal. If you can provide that, then you'll have removed a problem.
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 Most VSAs fail because of a lack of direction and/or goal. If you can provide that, then you'll have removed a problem.
Thanks for your support! And you too Izack for making me lay out my reasoning. I already had the ideas in my head, but never thought of them that way.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
Nazban
Orbinaut

i joined, pending approval from you , can i be deputy director
Nazban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazban View Post
 i joined, pending approval from you , can i be deputy director
Accepted
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEvan View Post
 From what I've seen, most VSAs fail because they do not have a website set up. However, since I have already created the website, this removes that problem.

Also, I can put enough time into managing it to keep it active and organized.
That's great news and I sincerly wish you the best however I wouldn't join because your website has no mission or goal content. So far, you've not listed what it is this VSA aims to achieve in terms of a goal. Is it manned space flight? A spacestation in LEO? Flights to the moon? all? You have nothing saying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
They can also fail because the people wishing to join have different ideas to the people running them. An example, my one person VSA works perfectly as a one person VSA because I have no one to worry about except myself. When I did open it up to membership I suddenly had people who wanted to fly a lot more than I had missions for them. I also had people that wanted a full training experience. This fundamentally altered the way I wanted to take my VSA and resulted in it becoming something more of a chore than a fun task so I've had to take it back to a single peson VSA.

Is that a failure? Yes, because I wasn't able to deliver a VSA experience into the community. I hope yours turns out better and I look forward to seeing what you can deliver.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 That's great news and I sincerly wish you the best however I wouldn't join because your website has no mission or goal content. So far, you've not listed what it is this VSA aims to achieve in terms of a goal. Is it manned space flight? A spacestation in LEO? Flights to the moon? all? You have nothing saying this.
Thanks for the advice! Goals have now been posted, based on suggestions of my Deputy Director.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 They can also fail because the people wishing to join have different ideas to the people running them. An example, my one person VSA works perfectly as a one person VSA because I have no one to worry about except myself. When I did open it up to membership I suddenly had people who wanted to fly a lot more than I had missions for them. I also had people that wanted a full training experience. This fundamentally altered the way I wanted to take my VSA and resulted in it becoming something more of a chore than a fun task so I've had to take it back to a single peson VSA.

Is that a failure? Yes, because I wasn't able to deliver a VSA experience into the community. I hope yours turns out better and I look forward to seeing what you can deliver.
Thanks! I plan on listening to people's suggestions and taking them into consideration. Hopefully, this will help keep people content.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Eli13
Fish Dreamer

pending on application for director of manned spaceflight
Eli13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
Ark
Orbinaut

How realistic are we talking, here? Because NASA's management isn't something I'd want to emulate.
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
Eli13
Fish Dreamer

Glad to be part of the team! Looking foward to working in this VSA.
Eli13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #13
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark View Post
 How realistic are we talking, here? Because NASA's management isn't something I'd want to emulate.
Just vehicles and possibly satellites. However, we're going to start switching to non-realistic vehicles (not impossible, I just mean like Delta Glider, Ariane 6, etc).
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #14
C3PO
Donator

Soooooooo.... you're up to 3 Directors now?
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
EricEvan
VOSSA Director/Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
 Soooooooo.... you're up to 3 Directors now?
Not division directors, of which we currently have one (Manned Spaceflight). I'm talking with another person about Director of Unmanned Spaceflight. However, Director of Mission Control is still available.

If you could me and the Deputy Director, we have three though!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum