Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old
O-F Administrator

Default XR1 1.8 / XR2 1.3 / XR5 1.6 Released
by dbeachy1 03-07-2011, 04:42 AM

Hi all,

The new XR versions have passed public release-candidate testing and are now posted on my Web site for download. Changes since the previous XR releases include:

Quote:
  • Fixed bug with 'CONFIG_OVERRIDE_MainFuelISP #' in the scenario file. [Reported by Nistenf]
  • Added support for inverted roll settings in Attitude Hold autopilot: you can now select a bank setting of +/-60 degrees or between +120 and -120 degrees. With zero bank you can hold a pitch up to +/-87.5 degrees (as before), and with zero pitch you can hold a bank up to +/-75 degrees or between +105 and -105 degrees. Note: to prevent the pilot from accidentally flipping the ship over during reentry you must temporarily disengage Attitude Hold before you can jump the bank setting from +/-60 to +/-120 degrees and vice-versa. So now you can perform an inverted reentry (aerobraking) using the Attitude Hold autopilot.
  • Updated the Attitude Hold section in the XR Flight Operations Manual (page 42).
  • Tweaked the XR1's hull mesh specular settings to make the hull appear more metallic (shiny).
  • Implemented a new preference setting to invert the Attitude Hold pitch/AoA arrow (up/down) behavior:
Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Optionally invert the Attitude Hold pitch/AoA arrow (up/down) behavior.
# This affects both the on-screen arrow controls and the NUMPAD-8/NUMPAD-2 keys.
#
#   0 = normal (default) : down arrow = increase pitch / up arrow = decrease pitch
#   1 = inverted         : down arrow = decrease pitch / up arrow = increase pitch
InvertAttitudeHoldPitchArrows=0
  • Implemented a new preference setting to invert the Descent Hold rate arrows (up/down) behavior:
Code:
# Optionally invert the Descent Hold rate arrows (up/down) behavior.
# This affects both the on-screen arrow controls and 
# the NUMPAD-8 / NUMPAD-2 / ALT-NUMPAD-8 / ALT-NUMPAD-2 / CTRL-NUMPAD-8 / CTRL-NUMPAD-2 keys.
#
#   0 = normal (default) : down arrow = increase rate / up arrow = decrease rate
#   1 = inverted         : down arrow = decrease rate / up arrow = increase rate
InvertDescentHoldRateArrows=0
  • Coded workaround for the MDA, Secondary HUD, and Tertiary HUD not updating after the simulation date is moved backwards. [Reported by Grover.]
  • Fixed the XR2's unlit Bay warning light label on the lower panel. [Reported by mc_.]
  • Added code and warning callout to prevent accidental undocking when both the inner and outer airlock doors are open.
  • Fixed the mouse click handling for throttle handles in the XR1's VC. [Reported by OG Hemp.]
Happy Orbiting!

Last edited by dbeachy1; 03-10-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Updated for public release
Views 21929 Comments 24
Total Comments 24

Comments

Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
Nistenf
Orbinaut

I'm on a changelog of the XR addon, I feel honored
Downloading now, thanks for the update
Nistenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
hribek
Orbinaut

Oh, cool. Though I got used to flying at 0 ~ 60 deg AoA with + or - 175 degree bank in my Cape Canaveral - Ascension flights. You'll see in the playback I promised to send you

The autopilot will only get confused if the roll setting is of the opposite sign than current roll value when you use a 180 (not 175) cheatcode and attempt to roll over the 180 mark. The AP will choose the long way and try to do a near 360. I dare to think that it might not be too difficult to add support for full 360 bank (roll) support with nonzero AoA.

If you disagree, please ignore me, I can manage with the cheatcodes for now

Last edited by hribek; 03-07-2011 at 06:13 PM.
hribek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Please note that you do not need the 'MaxAttitudeHoldNormal' and 'MaxAttitudeHoldAbsoluteBank' cheatcodes in order to fly inverted attitudes with the new builds. Those values are now used internally as max deltas from both 0 degrees and 180 degrees. In the new builds the autopilot should always take the shortest path to reach the target attitude.

To clarify the reason for the default roll limits, in an atmosphere the autopilot controls pitch primarily through elevator trim and CoG shifting, both of which which work best at <= 60 degrees of bank. During reentry the RCS jets are only used to fine-tune the ship's attitude.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
ercsim
Techie

When on ground, reversing, XR2 has very weird behaviour. It doesn't reverse as it is suppose to. Both version 1.2 and 1.3 has that problem!
ercsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Tommy
Orbinaut

Quote:
It doesn't reverse as it is suppose to.
What is it doing, and what do you think it should be doing?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
ercsim
Techie

instead of moving backwards like a car, it feels more like translation. Happens only when pitch is turned on.

This however does not show when moving forward with pitch on.

EDIT: its reproducible

Last edited by ercsim; 03-10-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
TSPenguin
The Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercsim View Post
 instead of moving backwards like a car, it feels more like translation. Happens only when pitch is turned on.

This however does not show when moving forward with pitch on.

EDIT: its reproducible
Do you know of any vessel that does it the right way?
TSPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
ercsim
Techie

No1. The reversing works, when pitch is turned off, APU is on. When both is ON, then weird reversing behaviour shows.

To answer your question, DGIV works.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
hribek
Orbinaut

It's one of the few moments where DGIV is better, yes. The XR2 doesn't like going backwards.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I just did a test here using the default XR2 "Ready for takeoff to ISS" scenario with AF control On/Pitch/Off as well as APU on/off and the ship rolled backwards normally as expected when the retro rockets were fired.

Are you both using clean installations? Also, can you both please be specific about what "weird reversing behavior" means and what exactly you are seeing? I need a little more to go on than just, "Weird reversing behavior" and "The XR2 doesn't like backing up." If I can reproduce what you guys are seeing I'll be happy to look into it.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Tommy
Orbinaut

I was able to reproduce the "strange" behavior using the following steps:

1: Start the "Ready for takeoff to ISS" scenario, open Retro doors. Leave AF controls as they are.

2: (optional) Change to external view and position camera above the vessel, looking down, this allows you to see the behavior better.

3: Give a short (1 second or less) blast of retro thrust to get the vessel moving in reverse.

4: Apply rudder while ship is rolling backwards.

Rather than turning, the vessel will move diagonally. If you apply left rudder, the vessel will move diagonally to the right-rear, and right rudder will cause a left-rearward diagonal "skid". "Skidding" continues as long as rudder is applied AND rearward motion continues (when vessel stops moving rearward, lateral "drift" also stops.

I suspect somehow the code used to assist ground turning is interfering. Behavior suggests that the code may not differentiate between forward and reverse movement, with the result that when moving backwards the code conflicts with the core's physics engine rather than assists it. In other words, when reversing with left rudder, the core physics trys to rotate (yaw axis) the vessel clockwise (as seen from above), while the "steering assist" code trys to rotate the vessel counter-clockwise (which would be appropriate if the vessel was moving forward).

I could, of course, easily be wrong about the cause of this problem. Since it can be avoided by turning AF controls off while trying to taxi the vessel, I'd call it fairly low priority.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
emarkay
Orbinaut

Maybe a "dum question f'm a noob", but can you overwrite the previous installs or do you need to manually delete the old before installing the new?

Thanks for your excellent work!

MRK
emarkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
hribek
Orbinaut

I apologize for my previous post. It wasn't as descriptive as it should have been. Though, Tommy's description (post #12) is accurate. Additionally, the behavior changes if the ground speed (while going backwards) is higher (like 50-100 m/s). Would you like playbacks/annotated playbacks/video recordings, Doug?

Last edited by hribek; 03-12-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
 I was able to reproduce the "strange" behavior using the following steps:

1: Start the "Ready for takeoff to ISS" scenario, open Retro doors. Leave AF controls as they are.

2: (optional) Change to external view and position camera above the vessel, looking down, this allows you to see the behavior better.

3: Give a short (1 second or less) blast of retro thrust to get the vessel moving in reverse.

4: Apply rudder while ship is rolling backwards.

Rather than turning, the vessel will move diagonally. If you apply left rudder, the vessel will move diagonally to the right-rear, and right rudder will cause a left-rearward diagonal "skid". "Skidding" continues as long as rudder is applied AND rearward motion continues (when vessel stops moving rearward, lateral "drift" also stops.

I could, of course, easily be wrong about the cause of this problem. Since it can be avoided by turning AF controls off while trying to taxi the vessel, I'd call it fairly low priority.
Thank you Tommy for the detailed info! I see what you mean. There is indeed code in the XRs to help rotate the vessel when taxiing to make the turning radius shorter. I'll see if I can tweak it to work better when turning while taxiing in reverse. Thanks again for the detailed information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
 Maybe a "dum question f'm a noob", but can you overwrite the previous installs or do you need to manually delete the old before installing the new?
Don't worry, you can overwrite earlier installs just fine. No need to delete the old files first.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons

Tags
release, xr1, xr2, xr5