Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Carmen A
redneck kitten with pillow :3

Project Lone Star 2060 - Earth Terrain & Aerospace Infrastructure

Coming Soon:

San Francisco International Airport upgrade
Houston Aerospace scenario pack
Matagorda - Port Arthur Terrain expansion

Basic Concept (as posted on February 14 2011)

It started from an conversation about threatening to land an XR5 atop the multiplayer server operator's house or something but stumbling upon this web page about abandoned and unknown Texas airfields alerted me to the heritage of these sites.

I hunted in Google Maps for some of these bases (several have been built over already and cannot be realistically used for OMP bases) and found some county airports with 5000ft runways that are quite easy to make.

I wanted something tinier to play with a base of my own first, though, and decided on Clark Sky Ranch outside Sealy as my first custom base.

I want to cover a relatively large landscape with the base textures so I will keep the textures low res; I find having a giant 2048x texture is not very worthwhile because I don't spent a lot of time looking at the ground at all. I will rather have something like FS98 or an earlier flight sim that allows me to recognise Texan landmarks, cities, etc, without any drag on the GPU/memory at all.

As we know, these bases are built for OMP (the first of many to come) and hi res texture packs are known to cause instabilities in our application, therefore maximum framerates and tiny install sizes are paramount to cater to everyone.

These bases I'm creating have a little surprise too - they are "realistically" sized, even the little light aircraft runways so taking off and landing a DG from a 1500ft runway is going to be as fun as the real thing - make use of the glideslope indicators or else!
Attached Thumbnails
orbiter 2011-02-14 01-40-00-18.jpg   orbiter 2011-02-14 01-53-31-07.jpg   orbiter 2011-02-14 02-00-19-32.jpg  

Last edited by Carmen A; 02-20-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Conversion of first post from concept to addon repository
Carmen A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
deltawing777
Orbinaut

coolness!
deltawing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
n122vu
Addon Developer

Nice! Would need to use retro engines as thrust reversers, I assume?
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Carmen A

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 Nice! Would need to use retro engines as thrust reversers, I assume?
Flaps, spoilers, retros, hooks, nets, boots scraping on the ground, the works :D

It's very good STOL practise... especially with cargo loaded.

I read that UCGO can simulate production facilities. If so, I could eventually create a fictional Texan farming economy!

Musn't forget the SAM sites too, for the rednecks amongst us :3 Never know when some rival NASCAR fans would pitch an XR5 container at us with their HARP cannon, y'know? :3
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Could I make a request?? Matagorda Island is often overlooked. But it's nicely located along the Gulf coast, the government displaced many farmers to plop a runway and facilities there, only to abandon it later.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Carmen A

Currently the scope of the "Texas 2060" project encompasses Matagorda - Houston - Galveston.

From reading about other base projects I have a strategy to not only cover a huge area but keep the file sizes relatively tiny as well.

And yes I'm using your base tutorial for my first steps (STOL base) PhantomCruiser :3
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread....ction+Tutorial

To enable me to cover as much ground as possible I will develop my own modus operandi and publish tutorials.

Part of the next stage involves using a more efficient means of texture management (no 1,000,000 texture tiles to put in cfgs!) and also developing a basic infrastructure for the virtual Texas - there will be monorail lines on major roads like Route 288, for instance.

And yes UCGO interstate traffic :D
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
deltawing777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen A View Post
 Currently the scope of the "Texas 2060" project encompasses Matagorda - Houston - Galveston.

From reading about other base projects I have a strategy to not only cover a huge area but keep the file sizes relatively tiny as well.

And yes I'm using your base tutorial for my first steps (STOL base) PhantomCruiser :3
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread....ction+Tutorial

To enable me to cover as much ground as possible I will develop my own modus operandi and publish tutorials.

Part of the next stage involves using a more efficient means of texture management (no 1,000,000 texture tiles to put in cfgs!) and also developing a basic infrastructure for the virtual Texas - there will be monorail lines on major roads like Route 288, for instance.

And yes UCGO interstate traffic :D
Wow carmen excellent ideas cant wait to see what you come up with.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Could I make a request?? Matagorda Island is often overlooked. But it's nicely located along the Gulf coast, the government displaced many farmers to plop a runway and facilities there, only to abandon it later.
Probrably not the best location in a hurricane zone
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Carmen A

Can we get a Cessna 172 addon?

And a motorbike? I'm going to model Route 288 as a huuuuuuuuge runway. I'm not picky about my hogs, a Sportster will do :D
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
deltawing777
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen A View Post
 Can we get a Cessna 172 addon?

And a motorbike? I'm going to model Route 288 as a huuuuuuuuge runway. I'm not picky about my hogs, a Sportster will do :D
lol Sportster...for some reason steppenwolf comes to mind
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Carmen A

Pictures time!

Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
deltawing777
Orbinaut

OOooo nice! That looks really really looks cool carmen! What is that populated area under your left wing? Just looky at all dem cows down der' lol
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Carmen A

That's Katy :3

I might as well blitz the texture tiles for Houston and leave the base work for the next few days or whatever.

I don't think we have a road & freeway texture so... I'll make one!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Awesome. Completely.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Carmen A

Downtown Houston

Feels like home now doesn't it? :3

Filesize - Sealy to Houston, 2 megabytes. Yes, two. When you zoom out or move away from the textured area, the texture will auto shrink thereby causing no lag globally.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
deltawing777
Orbinaut

hey, there's grandma's house!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons

Tags
airports, county, texas, usa