Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
sethhope
Orbinaut
Default Lunar Transfer help

I need help with a lunar transfer. I have been planning a mission to the Brighton Beach base on the moon, when I realized, I have no idea how to get from earth orbit to lunar orbit! I am not a very experienced orbinaut, so please help with this issue.
sethhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
TSPenguin
The Seeker

Orbiter itself contains a scenario called "DG to the moon", you can find it in the regular scenario listing under Tutorials.
There is a quite large tutorial button on this very page at the very top. I suggest clicking it.
If all of that does not help you, use the forum search.

Should you not find anything pertaining to your needs, feel free to make a thread asking for help. Oh wait... Nevermind.
TSPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Aeadar
Lurker Representitive

Check out the, 'DG to the Moon' scenario in the 'Tutorials' folder in the Orbiter launchpad. It's a good thing to watch a few times before trying a lunar transfer. It gives you an opportunity to understand what the MFDs do, and why.

Good luck!

D'oh! TSP beat me to it.
Aeadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPenguin View Post
 There is a quite large tutorial button on this very page at the very top. I suggest clicking it.
It's not quite that obvious. It's 'Orbiter Tutorials' only visible after opening the large 'Orbiter' tab on the site header.

But yes, information for this use is readily available all over the place here with just a wee bit of searching.
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
TSPenguin
The Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 It's not quite that obvious. It's 'Orbiter Tutorials' only visible after opening the large 'Orbiter' tab on the site header.
It turns out that only the default skin is flawed in that way. Quite a funny button missing for a default skin

I indeed was wrong. Sorry for that.

Last edited by TSPenguin; 01-20-2011 at 02:44 AM.
TSPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
sethhope
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeadar View Post
 Check out the, 'DG to the Moon' scenario in the 'Tutorials' folder in the Orbiter launchpad. It's a good thing to watch a few times before trying a lunar transfer. It gives you an opportunity to understand what the MFDs do, and why.

Good luck!

D'oh! TSP beat me to it.
I have tried that scenario and I just cant learn that way! I need a paper or a non-video tutorial to understand what is going on. also, the tutorial page on this site didnt seem to have an earth to lunar transfer tutorial.
sethhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Check this out, quite simple and concise.
Of course, you need to know the basics.

http://www.amcsorley.dsl.pipex.com/t...d_tutorial.htm
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 Check this out, quite simple and concise.
Of course, you need to know the basics.

http://www.amcsorley.dsl.pipex.com/t...d_tutorial.htm
I'd like to add that you should actually start purning prograde before DTe=0. Ideally, you should find out how long the burn will take, divide that number by two and then start your burn at DTe = that number. The burn will end at DTe+that same number, meaning you haven't put yourself off-course by burning irregularly. Burns take time, and in space time is absolutely critical in every manoeuvre.

LunarTransferMFD by Jarmonik is an essential tool in cislunar operations (and as a bonus it makes IMFD less painful to learn should you attempt it farther down the road.)
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
bande
Neofita

have a look to GoPlayInSpace, very useful as you move your first steps in Orbiter
bande is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum