Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
BrianJ
Addon Developer
Default Orbiter 2010 + spacecraft3.dll + multistage2.dll

Hi,
I'm just wondering how Vinka's modules "Spacecraft3.dll, Multistage2.dll & stage.dll" are working for other folks using Orbiter2010?

After a couple of quick tries, I'm happy to say that spacecraft3.dll seems to be working OK for me, although I haven't tried jettisoning any payloads yet.

Multistage2.dll also seems to be functioning OK (although I see a post on Dansteph's forum to the contrary, but no details)

The stage.dll (which handles the jettisoned stages from multistage2.dll vessels) is NOT working for me - no mesh is visible.

So I made myself a quick and dirty replacement "stage.dll" (.zip attached to this post) - it's a bit clunky but it'll do for me until Vinka, or someone, makes a proper one. C++ Code is included in the .zip for people to laugh or cry at.

For info, I'm running Windows XP, with VC++ 2003 and VC++ 2008 Express compilers installed.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Files
File Type: zip stage_dll_2010.zip (27.4 KB, 855 views)
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
simcosmos
Addon Developer

Thanks Brian!

I will have to wait for the weekend to at least try do do some preliminary tests with Vinka's generic dlls on Orbiter2010 (not sure if will be possible, else only in the other weekend)

For the moment, and as also noted on...

Multistage2 not fully functional
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=115

I confirm that, in what regards Multistage, the original stage.dll file causes the launcher components to disappear on staging. Brian, after a very quick test your preliminary stage.dll does seem to at least fix that visual issue, thanks very much for sharing it!

There might exist (or not) a few extra considerations about this topic but would really need extra time to properly test some things out... On a side note, Orbinauts / Generic DLL developers might need to better study some Orbiter2010 changes - such as the denser atmospheric model for Earth – as well might need to be aware of already existing implementation constraints of the generic dlls on Orbiter2006P1 in order to then better compare generic dlls behavior between Orbiter2006P1 and Orbiter2010. This of course requires clean installs (perhaps with Orbiter Sound too) and some methodology.

Spacecraft DLL

Regarding spacecraft dll powered stuff, haven't yet fully tested it. In any case, would like to link to a few previous development / bug report threads, because – and following what have written above - it might be handy to have a centralized reference (so that users / developers might be better aware of already existing limitations of spacecraft dlls on Orbiter2006P1 and *not* caused by Orbiter2010 'compatibility' issues). The current thread seems to be a good place for it:

Vinka's spacecraft2/3.dll on Orbiter2006P1: payload mass bug on quick save (?)
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1755

Vinka's Spacecraft 3 Aerodynamics params
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2059

To conclude, although the generic dlls seem to mostly work on Orbiter2010 (still need to make some extra careful tests about a few details) it would still be great to have 'officially' updated multistage (+stage) and spacecraft dlls for Orbiter2010 but I'm aware that sometimes the major 'incompatibility' is really to have time regarding real life vs virtual life so, Vinka, if you are reading this, please do not feel pressured (although, if possible, it would be nice to hear something from you )

All for now
Thanks,
António

Last edited by simcosmos; 06-09-2010 at 10:57 AM.
simcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
garyw
O-F Administrator

I tried multistage two and my favourite multistage addon,
Model Rockets
which worked fine.

I also installed the 2006P1 version of spacecraft3 and tested out the sample scenarios. The Russian dolls scenario has multiple attached vessels and all separated without a problem.
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Yury
Orbinaut

Thanks! Now I can delete my Orbiter-2006
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Arthur Dent
Absolutely Mental

spacecraft and multistage.dll are essential to me. Not just for the many add-ons based on them, but also for my "private" VSA project. As it is to many other devs and users.

Thanks Brian for your efforts! I'll drink an extra beer for you on Friday!

And indeed, it would be nice, to at least hear from Vinka if he is planning to release an updated version of his dlls. I hope he knows how many people actually appreciate his work!
Arthur Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
insanity
Blastronaut

It works great so far. Well done!
insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I'm having problems with the 2010 release with my multistage2 project... My rocket will launch fine, but there is no staging. I couldn't manually jettison the stage with the [J] key, nor deploy the fairings. Nor would it work with a jettison command in the guidance file.
Using the Universal AutoPilot it would stage as it should (I didn't try the fairing though).

edit-
Fairing sep works under UAP.
I don't understand, it works with a vanilla install of Orbiter '06. And I believe it worked with one of the betas. Any ideas guys?
It could be I'm overlooking something very simple and can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited by PhantomCruiser; 06-10-2010 at 11:13 AM.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
 Thanks Brian for your efforts! I'll drink an extra beer for you on Friday!
..and I'll have one for Martin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
 And indeed, it would be nice, to at least hear from Vinka if he is planning to release an updated version of his dlls. I hope he knows how many people actually appreciate his work!
Seconded.

I agree with Antonio that multistage/spacecraft dll's could use a makeover for Orbiter 2010 and clear up some of the old issues.

There was some mention on Dansteph's forum that Vinka was working on the next generation of spacecraft/multistage dll's, but that was a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser
 I couldn't manually jettison the stage with the [J] key, nor deploy the fairings.
I've found that you can't jettison stages before the current the "BurnDelay" parameter (if used) has expired - but that shouldn't affect the fairing. Try a different multistage launcher and see if it works - if yes, then the problem is with your .ini somewhere.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
 There was some mention on Dansteph's forum that Vinka was working on the next generation of spacecraft/multistage dll's, but that was a while back.
Yes, over three years ago(April 2007). Maybe someone could ask him to release the Multistage and Spacecraft source code.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
BrianJ
Addon Developer

Good news... Vinka IS working on the .dll's for Orbiter 2010 :-)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Columbia42
Orbinaut

Quote:
Great!

BTW, I remember seeing the source code for spacecraft and multistage somewhere but I can't quite remember where...

BTBTW, Doesn't the script vessel thingy in Orbiter 2010 sort of replace spacecraft3 for most stuff? (I haven't really tried it out but it seems to have a lot of the same sorts of features).
Columbia42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
jacquesmomo
Kourou CSG addon Developper

Oh yes, VERY good news! Thank for the "info"...
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
Hielor
Defender of Truth

Quote:
Nice!

Don't suppose there's any possibility of allowing vessel types to be defined by vessel *class* instead of *name*?
Hielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
n72.75
Donator

Quote:
I see that he is a member of Orbiter-Forum but he has zero posts.
n72.75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
simcosmos
Addon Developer

Will write this quick note about Vinka's multistage2.dll particle settings on Orbiter2010: I have noticed, on some development work regarding eventual future Orbiter2010 compatibility of a few of my released (and not yet released) virtual toys, that a few parameters might need to be non strictly zero on multistage2.dll INI definitions in order to, in this message case, in order to have some particle streams rendered in Orbiter2010 (while in Orbiter2006P1 the particle streams would render fine even if with some of those values at zero). Only for completeness, was using my (really old / outdated) Direct SDLV v0.1 to test some compatibility related stuff (and noticed that the SRB exhaust – 'SRBex' – (not the smoke) was apparently not working on Orbiter2010 unless tweaking a few of the particle settings to become non-zero).

Assuming that what I have written is true (would need to do extra tests, with more time) a custom dll or other generic dlls (other than Vinka multistage2.dll) might also need to be updated either on the source code or on INI definitions for better Orbiter2010 compatibility (regarding particle settings).

But again, this is just and only a quick side comment which would really require extra time to properly test and confirm and that might or not be applied to other dlls being that, in the case of Vinka's work, what I have written above might be fixed with the eventual future release of updated dll versions (or, meanwhile, with INI configuration 'tweaks' on existing versions, example, instead of a parameter being zero, by editing it to be 0.001 or something).

António
simcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum