Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #31
Thorsten
Orbinaut

It's 3d rendering, equation of motion solvers ran fine on computers from 30 years ago. You can estimate that 99.9% of all computation operations for a simulation happen on the graphics card or are rendering related (which is however hard to connect to performance bottlenecks because graphics cards are massive parallel computing devices).

To give an example I know well because I wrote the GLSL code: This scene

utilized about 2000 lines of code per pixel, has about 3.6 million pixels and so does more than 7 billion lines per frame or 420 billion lines per second on the graphics card (a line may also include complex operations like vector cross products, matrix multiplications, transcendent functions etc.)

Hard to use that kind of performance with physics-solving (unless you're doing really science that is).
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
TCR_500
Biblical Creationist

My shaders currently are maybe a dozen lines of code.
TCR_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #33
Thorsten
Orbinaut

Well, mine really aren't...

Light in the atmosphere alone is complicated if you want to do it properly, there's Rayleigh, Mie and diffuse out-scattering of the illuminating ray and of the view ray, there's Rayleigh, Mie and diffuse in-scattering into the illuminating and view ray, there's diffuse irradiance of the atmosphere, there's clouds absorbing light or glaring in Mie scattering, there's noise in the haze distribution,...
Thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum