Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #1756
Donamy
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Why? Were they not flown on every mission?

I meant so Wolf can finish his Orbiter textures.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #1757
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post

I meant so Wolf can finish his Orbiter textures.
Oh... yes groups should be worked as individually as possible, to avoid major changes all at once. IMO, most of the items on that massive list I posted should be one commit.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #1758
DaveS
Addon Developer

Sorry for taking so long with the orbiter, but it's going to be worth the wait. Two of the major delays was with the OMS pods and the XO1307 bulkhead and the PLBD EVA handrails. Both have now been resolved. Here's a screenshot of the brand new PLBD EVA handrail: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia46yevqty...drail.jpg?dl=0

It now very much looks like the one in this photo from STS-131: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wh0oxuvl9...drail.jpg?dl=0
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #1759
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Can you make a normal map that mimics the surface of the real rail?

(And maybe use this normal map to maybe also replace some triangles, looks relatively high poly for a such a small part, but then, it might be seen from close)
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #1760
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Sorry for taking so long with the orbiter
Don't be sorry, it takes the time it takes.... no point in rushing things.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #1761
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Can you make a normal map that mimics the surface of the real rail?

(And maybe use this normal map to maybe also replace some triangles, looks relatively high poly for a such a small part, but then, it might be seen from close)
It's indeed an object that can be viewed up close. The photo is rotated and cropped from this one which looks like it was taken from the aft flightdeck: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery...131e009470.jpg
Other hardware that appears prominently is the left forward radiator retract hose in its fully extended position, the elbow MPM for the SRMS and two of the drive mechanisms for the left payload bay door.

Last edited by DaveS; 06-13-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #1762
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 It's indeed an object that can be viewed up close. The photo is rotated and cropped from this one which looks like it was taken from the aft flightdeck: https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery...131e009470.jpg
Other hardware that appears prominently is the left forward radiator retract hose in its fully extended position, the elbow MPM for the SRMS and two of the drive mechanisms for the left payload bay door.

Exactly. Also, during an EVA or by using the payload bay cameras, the aft rails would also be visible from close.

But still, the rails are candidates that could be optimized by hiding them or reducing their poly count, while they are not visible or the observer is too far away.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #1763
GLS
Addon Developer

If we "audit" the meshes and get rid of the hidden faces, that's already a big gain in performance at no expense in detail. IMO (other) optimizations can wait.
Thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #1764
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 If we "audit" the meshes and get rid of the hidden faces, that's already a big gain in performance at no expense in detail. IMO (other) optimizations can wait.

Sure. I think the audits are great tool.

Also we are still on the "good" side compared to recent standard hardware in terms of graphics, so the need to optimize is not that urgent yet.

Still, I wonder what to do/play with the next full release. And when the MMCAs come, will the SRMS also be ported to use them?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #1765
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
The the PLBD EVA handrails already have had all their hidden faces deleted so there's not much to do there.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #1766
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Still, I wonder what to do/play with the next full release. And when the MMCAs come, will the SRMS also be ported to use them?
The Crawler is the other item on the TODO list for the release (after the small DPS upgrade and new Entry/TAEM/AL guidance)...
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #1767
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 The Crawler is the other item on the TODO list for the release (after the small DPS upgrade and new Entry/TAEM/AL guidance)...

If we but so much work into GNC... what about using it for some station building focus?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #1768
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 If we but so much work into GNC... what about using it for some station building focus?
We do have this bug to worry about as far as the RMS is concerned. Also alot of RMS ops does involve the DPS but not GNC but rather SM. Namely SM 94 PDRS CONTROL. AFAIK we don't do SM in our barebone DPS only GNC so the CRT MAJOR FUNC switches on C2 and R11L are useless.
Thanked by:
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #1769
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to get to the runway, whatever altitude it happens to be. (btw, mainly I'm doing the "G" part, the rest can remain "cheated")
Rendezvous, good idea. Issue #1: launch into the correct plane... we can't do that well (especially with the pad being in the wrong place because of the Earth not being of the correct shape). Regardless of the shape of the Earth, I'd like to get all that IY-plane stuff working... but I only have 2 hands. Landing got "broken" with Orbiter 2016, so that gets priority.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #1770
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Right now I'm trying to get to the runway, whatever altitude it happens to be. (btw, mainly I'm doing the "G" part, the rest can remain "cheated")
Rendezvous, good idea. Issue #1: launch into the correct plane... we can't do that well (especially with the pad being in the wrong place because of the Earth not being of the correct shape). Regardless of the shape of the Earth, I'd like to get all that IY-plane stuff working... but I only have 2 hands. Landing got "broken" with Orbiter 2016, so that gets priority.

Well, lets see what can be improved there... But first let me let the star trackers see the light...
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra